Sunsetting User-to-User Inbox Messaging

Can we actually get a replacement before deleting the feature. Please stop removing things before we get a fix, it puts people in an awkward limbo.

4 Likes

Spam? The real spam is RTBF requests (when your game doesn’t even save any player data).

3 Likes

sigh I give up with this company.

6 Likes

This is good? A majority of the users there will be easier to moderate and you can filter thousands of suspected spam messages just from the words they use in the title and/or post.

It makes no sense why users that aren’t friends cant talk.

For any users questioning this stupid logic, I predicted this years ago. This is a scheme and step forward to move more people to use Guilded. Soon in the near future we will no longer be able to have discord or twitter integrations.

Jokes aside (I half believe what I just said, half dont)

If anyone at roblox or something is seeing this, it would be cool if we could use experience (ingame) chat to talk with certain groups, communities, users, and MAYBE people on guilded(?) that are in whole different experiences

Sorta like how you can talk to your hypixel guild and whisper users from anywhere

Ofc users can choose what groups they want to recieve chat messages from in the all channel, and disable them in realtime (but being able to go to the group channel) but still a cool thought and makes /c actually useful for once

For users it would sorta just be /w then a full username or userid just for friends

2 Likes

While I totally agree with the sunset - if the main reason for this was only for spam, - there should totally be other ways for us to talk to other people without friending them.

I sometimes use the Inbox to talk to someone about something, but I find no need to add them as a friend for so. The Chat feature does not allow this, you’re only allowed to talk to friends - on mobile only, too. Which is beyond absurd.

If the other reason for sunsetting was for the amount of issues it had, and still has, then why not fix them? Why not have developers and users provide feedback? For years the Archive feature has been broken. I’ve archived countless messages that had a significant importance to me but they were deleted instead. The filtering system on it only shows once the message is sent, so there’s a chance the recipient receives a paragraph of tags.

Chat is not a replacement to Inboxes, not unless there’s an user-to-non-friends chat feature, no.

1 Like

This doesn’t do a whole lot to replace functionality of user-to-user inbox messaging because to use the chat feature you must have them added as a friend. We have a maximum limit of 200 friends. For the majority of developers who use the inbox feature currently to maintain a form of contact with their players, it would be an impossibility to friend every single player so that they’re able to reach out directly to us

I wholeheartedly agree that something needed to be done in order to resolve the massive moderation and safety problems caused by this feature and others, but I don’t know if completely removing it with no good quality replacement is the right call to make.

I feel like sunsetting this feature too soon in the name of user safety will have an opposite effect where we see an increase in underage players attempting to reach out over other social platforms that they shouldn’t be on, which risks exposing them to something they shouldn’t experience, somebody that intends to do harm to them, or allowing them to see something they cannot unsee and only creates even more opportunity for people that want to do harm to these kids.

How would forums work with something that should be private such as a player reporting another player’s behaviour in our games? The risk with not having such a thing private could be catastrophic to the reporting player’s safety, online and physically. Also, wouldn’t the proposed forums solution pose the exact same safety problem ultimately (Which ironically is exactly what caused the original forums to shut down)? How is this seen as a safer solution then when you’ve already previously deemed it to be unsafe and not viable?

I’m not so convinced about the whole safety claim, you seem to be contradicting yourself a lot.

6 Likes

So, you’re removing my only other way to get feedback? And no, my audience, which is mostly 8-year-olds and early teens, won’t know what the DevForum is. Therefore, even Guilded, which I only got just to put a picture in my group, then removed, so I can’t use it to talk to them
 NOW PEOPLE CANNOT INTERACT WITH ME UNLESS THEY FRIEND ME AND I ACCEPT IT?!

This is the worst update I have ever seen. Roblox knows we hate this and doesn’t care.
Roblox doesn’t actually care about its developers in the first place.

1 Like

Even the actual best developer out there hates this update.
With the 87 replies already, you’d think Roblox would actually think it through
 Nope, not at ALL.

1 Like

noone cares. its a horrible update. nobody wanted it. nobody needs it.

2 Likes

Have you even read the replies, and just looked at the title and decided to post this? Did you even fully read the post? We dont actually know if guilded will be used for communities. I assume they only use guilded for announcements for the images, but I could be wrong. Feedback? Just use Form Embedder. Made by roblox staff, extremally easy to use, and much better than sorting through all your right of erasure requests and scam messages.

1 Like

This is tame, the ones where people actually cared (Audio Update(Rereleasing, Dynamic Heads(Canceled kinda) and some other updates I forgot about, had 500+

Its getting replaced with communities, just so you know. We are getting forum, which are way better for gathering feedback, than messages were.

More people should look into this, people seem to just like to read the title, than start making complaints instead of reading the post.

2 Likes

Please, do not sunset user-to-user inbox messaging. As a developer, this is how I would expect people to message me regarding game feedback and bug reporting. Until Groups (soon to be known as Communities) get an overhaul, this feature should be kept.

I am aware that there are issues with spam and scams, but that can be solved by moving all those messages into a “Potentially Spam” tab. Also, if you don’t want younger players to receive messages from others due to safety concerns, then the “Who can message me?” privacy option exists for a reason, or just disable messages entirely for accounts registered as U13.

There are many simple, easy fixes to iron out the flaws on a valuable feature for some, even if the lack of usage doesn’t suggest that, but because of how you are these days for the sake of corporate gain, it’s unlikely that you’ll take these fixes into account so at least the two main problems are mitigated.

Again, please do not remove user-to-user inbox messaging until you have a quality replacement.

5 Likes

Leave it up, another pointless removal rather than focusing on many basic issues in Roblox Engine and Platform.

9 Likes

The listed objectives seem reasonable, now it’s just important to provide a new feature like this as soon as possible that’s bringing back a way to interact between creators and users.

I think this is fine. It’s like PointsService being shut down.

We all knew it was coming. Nothing can last forever. I think a lot of people here are over exaggerating their pessimism lol

If you are actually getting “feedback” from your inbox, you should probably start learning how to make an in-game feedback form, and learning how to use analytics. To be frank, I doubt that children are sending game developers actionable feedback anyways.

1 Like

People who use HTTP services, don’t want to go into a player’s game, to report if their webhook is spamming a proxy or something else.
It is faster to contact the user through PMs.
Because most robloxians don’t even register on the devforum.
So no, it is not exaggerating.

2 Likes

We did have forums, a long time ago

3 Likes

What Roblox sees VS. what Roblox players see: