Super Blox Bros | Feedback on Platformer Game

I created a platformer game called Super Blox Bros!

I created the entire first “realm” of levels and I’m planning to continue expanding. If you’d like to play, I’d appreciate it if you could let me know where there’s room for improvement in any aspect of the game loop or progression. I created the above thumbnails for my game and I would also appreciate feedback on the thumbnails (I currently only have a 58% New Users Detail Page CTR). Also let me know if you run into any bugs!

4 Likes

Nintendo already has lawyers writing up a cease and desist.

2 Likes

the rest of the thumbnails are fine, but please dont throw an ai generated one in there xD

5 Likes

The thumbnails have a variety of text, I recommend sticking with one font and making all text have a border/outline. I personally don’t like AI thumbnails as they can stray greatly away from what the gameplay actually looks like. I value that in my own thumbnails, but from what I’ve found through conversation is that isn’t a universal thing.

Anyhow, here’s a list of feedback:

• The title should simply be ‘Super Blox Bros’, not ‘Super Blox Bros (help Mario!)’.

• This would be following Roblox’s best practices: Experiences and Places | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub
    • In addition, I wouldn’t name your character ‘Mario’. The game idea/title itself is already close to the Nintendo property, but having ‘Mario’ in that title creates less of an ‘inspiration’ and more of a ‘copyright infringing’ thing.
  • The UI in the game is inconsistent, but that’s not imperative to success on Roblox. There is a lack of consistency in color mainly, but also boarders and general design/layout.

• The beginning cutscene is cool, but ‘Turtward’ moves quite quickly when going for the princess.

• (camera stuff is complicated with the level design at hand) Starting off at the first world, I notice the level design is linear, yet the camera does not compliment this fact. Forcing the camera to only move parallel to the direction the player is supposed to go would greatly help. That, and making the player only move in those directions as well as the enemies.

• Some might want to play the game with a first-person view though or top-down view. Yet, the signs that guide the player face a specific direction, which makes me assume I should move my camera to see them.
    • I wrote the above comment for Level 1-1. It seems later levels utilize the third-dimension more, which could make switching to a more fixed camera more difficult.
      • the ability to switch power-ups is also nice.
  • Getting a powerup changes my character, but there are no VFX.

• Without a powerup jumping out of the ?-box, I am forced into something I might not want to equip. The Mario games have the powerups jump out of the ?-box so that players have the option to collect it or not.

• The game mechanic of jumping to a higher point at the end of a level to get more points is familiar, but done with the unique twist of it being a portal. This is really cool!

• This way of showing the player where the shop is is great as well.

• The hub world area is great! That said, I’d like to move faster from point A to B.

• I noticed there is a checkpoint system with the stars, which is awesome!

• I dislike the use of a pets system and a rebirth system. I can tell that this game is a mix of Roblox Obbys, outside Platformers (Super Mario Bros), and Roblox Simulators. That mix of traditional Obby and Platformers is cool, but I dislike the game design of simulators being thrown in.

• Notes on 1-3:

• The knight powerup is nice. It might be good to have a custom character for the player. I say that because my Roblox avatar covered up the knight costume quite a bit. Anyhow, getting first diamond is great level design: teaching the player a mechanic and they use it to find a secret on mostly on their own.
    • The cave section is a great way to break up the level, but there are a lot of torches.
    • The use of the yellow conveyor thing changes the pace of the level nicely.
    • Somehow after dying in 1-3, I was put here instead of the area I was at previously in the hub area:
  • I was able to get the UI to pop-up and then continued playing fine. So, notes about 1-4:

• I died in this level a lot more. I think when you die you should be taken to your last checkpoint. I know this isn’t how the Super Mario Bros games did it, but it would be a great UX improvement.
    • the lavafalls complicates the previously mentioned camera system. Players who have the camera facing one way would need to move the camera to see where they are going/need to go.
    • Not a fan of mazes, but the level does have great diversity in ideas with the spinning blades and the enemies. Mostly great level design, which the occasional jump that feels too wide without a powerup. (that might get some annoyed).
    • As of writing this, I’m having issues getting through this section (picture below). Sometimes, I assume because of lag on my end or the server, the spinners aren’t spinning all the time.
      • Also, for some reason, when I’m idle for too long, it seems as though my speed gets really high. Not sure why.
    • The chemist is cartoonishly evil, but I find that funny.
    • The boss fight was amazing, but could do with some polish. VFX and pop-in/out mainly. Having text on the screen just pop up isn’t usually good UX.
  • After beating 1-4, I faced yet another teleporting issue:

• I couldn’t find any errors in the F9 screen.
  • I left the game and rejoined, with my data being saved, mostly. The path shown below the red pillar in the image from the note above this is no longer there:

• Cherry palace is nice. I got to move around in 3d space more in that area. :0

Since I can’t progress to the next level, I assume without beating 1-4 again, I will end playing for now. I am glad I decided to play this; and I hope to see it grow in both quality and popularity.

P.S., I should just make videos with audio when responding to feedback posts. So far I’ve been stopping playing to type out my thoughts as I play, which makes things take longer. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate you pointing out where I can improve and the bugs I need to fix in certain levels. There’s still a lot to workshop with this project but this helps a lot

1 Like

I dont think AI thumbnails will give people the best idea about your game

3 Likes