This is the changelog for Super Skyward Towers! Release notes from all versions of the game are noted here.
- Added a new community-created section, “Lava Dash”
- Reduced tower height to 5 sections, set rage-inducing spawn chance to 0%
- Improved crown minigame, location to crown is now shown and various other quality-of-life changes have been made
- Added a feature that allows players to return to their last safe point if they fall, for the cost of Robux
- Fixed an issue where “Skip section” button was still visible after reaching the top allowing for invalid purchases, it is now hidden
- Fixed an issue where dragging a finger over the jump button on mobile would trigger a jump. Jumping now requires an explicit press
- Fixed an issue preventing console players from selecting the “skip stage” button
- Added a minigame at the top of the tower. This will later reward a currency used for unlocking cool abilities and items.
- Added a new section, “Tri Moss”
- Increased height of tower from 5 sections to 6 sections
- Possibly fixed an issue where players would spawn higher up in the tower at the start of a round
- Added new death animations
- Added the ability to skip a section
- Added 3 new sections: Blurple Bullets, Hexagonal Highway and Lime Climb
- Added 3 new sections, 2 of them were created by the player community!
- Reworked how avatars take damage. Stunlock has been removed, and the damage knockback is higher
- Fixed an issue on mobile where players would get stuck in an infinite jump loop if the jump button was never explicitly let go of while sliding the thumbstick around
- Sections created by the community have the creator’s username displayed in the section name UI
- Added 2 new sections
- Made major changes to how the timer works. The timer now only starts counting down when the first player reaches the top, and does not increase its speed when subsequent players reach the top. This gives players a lot more time to reach the top!
- Fixed an issue where gems were not being displayed properly in the UI
- Improved performance of the loading screen. It should no longer cause huge frame drops on mobile & lower end devices
- Improved performance of the race position UI. It should no longer cause huge frame drops when near many other players.
- Fixed various bugs that were causing obstacles to break
- Fixed an issue where players were getting stuck in loading screens between rounds
- Overhauled the tower and all of its sections. The tower is now wider!
- Added a new “teleporter” object.
- Various sections now have secrets and shortcuts to help get ahead in the race to the top!
- Added 10+ new sections!
- Avatar abilities & movement have been overhauled:
– Movement is now “floatier” and more forgiving.
– Added a “hold [jump key] to jump higher” option. You can now control how high you jump!
– Increased coyote time
– Added “padded” jumping. You can now execute a single jump while a little bit off the ground.
– You can now grab ladders and walljumps from farther away
- Too many bugfixes to count (40+)!
- Added the initial version of racing! You can now see what place you are (1st 2nd 3rd etc) in the race to the top!
- Added a new “impossible” tier for sections. These will be fully enabled in a later update.
- Various UX improvements (notifications when modifiers are ran or a player reaches the top, no more jumping while typing in the chat, etc)
- Round loading times have been drastically improved (down to ~1-4 seconds from 10+ seconds in large servers)
- Re-enabled layered clothing!
- Enabled an anti-exploiting measure regarding avatars
- Minor performance improvements
- Checkpoints are now enabled by default
- Made checkpoints more obvious, there is now a visual effect that shows when reaching them
- Fixed an issue that was causing player avatars to move to an infinite position in the game-world when ragdolling while certain animations were playing
- Enabled a Roblox feature that allows for better union mesh visuals
- Enabled a Roblox feature that will allow for better animation visuals, regardless of avatar species / body
- Enabled a Roblox feature that should lower the game’s memory usage
- Various optimizations have been made to some backend systems, this should improve game network performance a bit
- Fixed an issue that was causing the climb ability to sometimes break
- Fixed a bug that would cause rounds to brick for the entire server if a player left at a certain time
- Layered clothing has been temporarily disabled, due to various game-breaking bugs with it
- Bubble chat has been enabled
- Major backend changes have been made to how rounds are loaded. This should decrease the chance of getting stuck in a loading screen
- Added an improvement to damage hit-detection, it should no longer be possible to be hit by lava through solid surfaces, such as ceilings
- Made various improvements to climbing on ladders. It should no longer be possible to be flung off of a ladder or climb into a ceiling
- Drastically improved loading times. Loading into rounds should now be nearly instantaneous.
- Made a significant design change to the “fall scream” mechanics. Players are now able to control their avatar while falling, giving them a chance to recover before falling to the bottom of the tower.
- Fixed a race condition that was causing players to get stuck in the loading screen, if they joined an existing server at just the right moment.
- Fixed an issue that was causing projectiles and switch panel obstacles to break, resulting in players getting stuck in the loading screen.
- Fixed an issue that could cause players’ cameras to completely spazz out, resulting in a nauseating experience. The camera should no longer spazz out in the event of a framerate drop while being hurt.
- Fixed a performance issue caused by obstacles that resulted in players lagging at the bottom and top of the tower.
- Fixed an issue where the “night” modifier was not running for some players even though it was purchased and running.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to “reset” your avatar while having more than 3 hearts resulted in the avatar not dying. Player avatars should now die regardless of how much health they have when the “reset” button is clicked.
- Fixed an issue where the “click” sounds in the game’s UIs were not playing. UI buttons should now play a “click” sound when clicked.
- Fixed an issue that resulted in player controls breaking if hurt while climbing a ladder. Players should now be able to continue moving around after being hurt on a ladder.
- Fixed an issue that was causing ladders to break player movement
- The tutorial has been updated and will now explain how the new obstacles work
- 7 new “Easy” ranked sections have been added to the tower with NEW OBSTACLE TYPES!
- Various sections in the tower have been updated with NEW OBSTACLE TYPES!
- Player climbing animations will now be in-sync with their climbing speed
- Fixed an issue where players could sometimes become mis-aligned with a ladder, causing them to climb on thin-air
- Fixed an issue where certain avatar bodies would cause climbing to not work properly
- A new obstacle type, “sticky walls” has been implemented
- Fixed some minor issues regarding avatar IK functionality
- Made major improvements to the round logic. Players should no longer get stuck in loading screens
- Fixed an issue that would cause players to sometimes spawn outside of the tower
- Fixed an issue that caused some lava parts to not damage the player
- Lava parts have been made more visible. This should help in sections that have a low contrast
- Made some minor improvements to the tower’s lighting specularity
- A new obstacle type, “switch panels”, has been implemented
- Fixed an issue that would cause the game’s obstacles to break, causing the player to get stuck in a loading screen
- The round’s intro sequence has been removed, which allows for faster entry into rounds
- Fixed an issue that would cause the game’s menus to break, which also had the side-effect of causing players to get stuck in loading screens
- Fixed an issue where the server was unable to correctly check if a player owned gamepasses
- The “camera mouselock” feature is now disabled by default, and can optionally be turned on
- Added 3 new “easy” ranked sections to the game
- Improved how the timer is sped up when players reach the top of the tower. The timer speed will now increase by 2 each time, instead of doubling
- Fixed an issue on mobile where players were not able to double jump after jumping off of a wall
- Fixed an issue where the game’s server would brick if a player left right as a round was starting
- Added an improvement that should speed up round loading times
- Fixed an issue that would cause mobile players to instantly doublejump when jumping off of a ladder
- Possibly fixed an issue that was causing players to be teleported back to the bottom of the tower when reaching the top
- The game levels as a whole have been made easier - platforms are slower, jumps are closer, and more!
- Fixed an issue that was causing the round intro screen to sometimes break, causing players to get stuck on the loading screen
- Fixed an issue that was causing leaderboard NPCs to break, which would cause players to get stuck on the loading screen
- Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause the player’s movement controls to permanently break
- The “get up” animations have been sped up. Players will now be able to get up much quicker after faceplanting from a fall or being hurt
- Fixed an issue that would sometimes break a player’s movement controls if they got hurt right as a round ended
- Added an immunity period after faceplanting. Players will now be immune to damage for a brief amount of time after getting up from a faceplant, preventing “double hits”
- The tower’s “day” lighting has been improved. It is now brighter, and more visually appealing
- Added weighting difficulty to tower generation. Easier levels are now more likely to appear than harder levels
- Fixed a hitbox issue that made it difficult to grab on to ladders from a diagonal angle
- The game’s loading times have been improved. Rounds should now load much quicker than before
- Implemented a temporary fix for a problem that was breaking leaderboard NPCs, causing the player to get stuck in the loading screen
- The distance required to enter a “fall scream” has been increased by a substantial amount. Players are now able to fall much farther before losing control of their character
- The game’s onboarding tutorial has been improved. Controls are now better explained for new players
- Decreased the tower height from 6 sections to 5 sections
- Possibly fixed an issue that would cause moving platform obstacles to sometimes freeze until players stepped on them
- Fixed an issue that would cause a player’s mouse to get permanently locked in the center of the screen if the shop was opened while the tutorial was being viewed
- Made a minor improvement so that disappearing platforms now properly reset when entering a section that has them
- Fixed an issue that would cause the camera to sometimes get stuck in place when the intro tower screen ended
- Fixed an issue that would cause leaderboard NPCs to spawn inside of the pedestle, if they were using R6
- Made various tweaks to the tower’s sections to balance difficulty
- The early-access exclusive perks & items have been taken offsale, since the game is now free to play
- Fixed an issue that made it possible to “reach” the top of the tower without actually reaching the top of the tower
- Fixed an issue that would cause various game UIs to break if the client window was resized
- Fixed an issue that could sometimes break a player’s platforming abilities on mobile due to a race condition
- Fixed an issue where players could not continue moving after getting up from being hurt, until they explicitly re-pressed a movement button. Players can now continue moving as soon as their character gets up, without re-pressing the movement button.
- Potentially fixed an issue that would cause players to get stuck in the round intro screen
- A gem purchase prompt will now show if a player tries to buy a modifier with gems, but does not have enough gems
- Added a UI that displays the name and difficulty of the section the player is currently in
- Global leaderboards have been added to the game. These display the players that have the most tower completions and section completions
- The round timer has had a minor visual animation added to it. The timer counting down should now be more aesthetically pleasing
- Made some minor improvements to the shop UI to get rid of empty space
- Fixed an issue that would cause projectiles to sometimes get flung in certain sections
- 5 new sections have been added to the game
- Fixed an issue that would cause the doublejump ability to error, due to it not handling player ragdolls properly.
- Fixed an issue that would sometimes break the doublejump and walljump abilities due to a race condition with avatar loading.
- Fixed an issue that would cause moving platforms to sometimes ‘freeze’ until stepped on. Moving platforms should no longer enter a physics ‘sleeping’ state.
- Fixed an issue where players could sometimes be healed while in a section above the bottom of the tower. It should no longer be possible to be healed anywhere outside of the bottom of the tower.
- Fixed an issue that would break various game features due to a web request erroring.
- Fixed an issue that would cause analytics to report duplicate errors.
- Fixed the “giveallitems” debug command.
- Fixed various problems with the back end data system. The game should no longer break during datastore outages, or if the player loads in too slowly or rejoins the same server.
- Fixed a race condition that would sometimes break the client-sided aspects of a round if the player joined right as a round was ending.
- It should no longer be possible to reach the top of the tower without being rewarded for it.
- Fixed an issue that would cause the round UI to sometimes spit an error, due to a specific avatar part not existing.
- Made some tuning adjustments to immunity times & hurt idle times (buffed immunity time after being hurt, nerfed hurt idle time). This should make getting hurt less punishing. The time it takes to get up after faceplanting from a scream-fall has also been nerfed.
- Fixed an issue that would cause moving platforms and projectile obstacles to freeze under certain race conditions.
- Fixed an issue that would cause the double jump & walljump abilities to break under certain race conditions.
- Made the game’s main HUD smaller. This should result in less screen-space being taken by UI elements on smaller screens.
- Increased base health from 1 heart to 3 hearts
- Fixed an issue where players could get outside of the tower by walking through the walls at the top of the tower
- Fixed the analytics system failing to log errors due to unsanitized error strings
- Improved the game’s tutorial flow. Players will now be forced to see the controls AND the obstacle mechanics info before being able to close the tutorial UI.
- Players that join during the pre-access period are awarded alpha-exclusive items.
- Added a “skip” button to the loading screen that lets players skip asset-preloading.
- Fixed an issue that was causing player’s heads to collide with ladders.
- Fixed an issue that was causing obstacles in some sections to collide with the tower’s outer walls.
- Made an optimization to shadows & tower wall collisions. This should improve performance.
- Fixed an issue where other players could affect the localplayer’s obstacle physics simulation.
- Disabled the ability to go into a first-person camera mode
- Disabled Roblox’s “autojump” feature for mobile devices
- Various minor UI improvements
- Fixed an issue that would brick server-sided round logic when an edge-case with player avatars was met
- Fixed an issue that was causing damaging parts to not do damage to the player’s health
- Fixed an issue that would result in player avatars being stuck in a dead ragdolled state if they used the “Reset” feature too early
- Fixed an issue with the main HUD UI that resulted in the entire client being bricked when certain race conditions occured
- Fixed an issue that would sometimes result in the player’s camera being stuck in the middle of nowhere
- Walking away from the physical shop will now automatically close the shop UI
- Fixed an issue that was bricking round server logic when an edgecase with the “checkpoints” feature was met
- Already owned items can now be inspected in the shop UI. The “buy” button will be greyed out for these items.
- A tutorial UI has been added to the game for first-time joiners. The tutorial can be re-viewed from the settings menu.
- Slightly nerfed ice. Ice should now have a bit more friction to it.
- Improved the visual UX of the main menu bar at the bottom of the screen. There will now be input icons indicating how to open menus depending on what platform you are on
- Added some new items to the shop
- Added a loading screen that displays while the game is loading. This fixes various game-breaking bugs, and allows for a better user experience, since critical game assets are now loaded before the game logic executes
- Fixed an issue that would sometimes result in game-breaking bugs happening due to an unhandled web request error in regards to gamepasses. In the event a web error occurs, gamepass data will not be loaded until the next request cycle.
- Fixed an issue with the section “Kill Tower” that was causing the bottom spinner to not move
- The “hide nearby players” feature has been removed, due to the performance problems it was causing with lower end devices. It will be re-added at a later date in the future
- Sound replication from other player avatars has been disabled, due to performance problems. The ability to hear other player’s sounds will be re-added at a later date in the future
- Fixed a minor issue that resulted in the player’s mouse being hidden if joining with the “camera locked to mouse” setting disabled
- Fixed an issue that resulted in some players being stuck forever on the “loading next tower…” screen in some edge-cases
- In-game music will now be automatically muted if a player is in the Roblox youtuber stars program
- In-game sounds and music have been balanced. The game’s soundscape should now be more audibly pleasing and less harsh on the ears
- Made various optimizations to help improve the game’s performance on lower-end devices
- Fixed an issue that would break climbing if a player was wearing a specific avatar
- Fixed an issue that caused checkpoints to not work with your already completed sections. Checkpoints should now be registered for all completed sections when checkpoints are activated
- Fixed an issue that caused player’s hitboxes to become visible after being hurt. Player hitboxes should now remain invisible all of the time
- Made an improvement to the inventory. Players should now be able to select different items while an equip/unequip is in progress
- The “Restart” and “Random Jump” modifiers were taken off-sale due to their overly distruptive nature
- Fixed an issue where some cosmetic overheads were not properly rendering in the shop and inventory UIs. Overheads that have images should now render properly
- Fixed an issue that would cause doublejump to break in certain circumstances
- Improved the variety and randomness of levels chosen when generating a tower
- Fixed an issue where the “bighead” pet had collisions enabled
- Game UIs should now be hidden during the game’s intro sequence
- There is now a proper loading screen between rounds
- The chat UI has been moved as to not overlap with the health UI
- An NPC has been added to the physical shop
- Fixed an issue that would cause the shop UI and other menus to get stuck on the player’s screen if the UI was open when a round ended
- Fixed an issue that caused the timer UI to be stuck in the middle of the screen on some mobile devices of certain sizes and resolutions
- The shop UI has been improved such that items that are being sold at a discounted price are more obvious
- Improved performance of checkpoint mechanic
- Killpart textures have been temporarily disabled to improve performance
- Fixed an issue that caused visual item duplication when spam clicking “daily offers” in the shop UI
- The developer debugging console should no longer be able to be opened except by game developers
- Roblox’s built-in backpack feature has been disabled
- Fixed an issue that caused player heads to get stuck looking forward when landing without moving
- Falling platforms have received a slight speed buff
- Players should no longer be able to jump while ragdolled or dead (#415)
- Made a massive performance improvement to the game’s obstacles. Phones and lower end devices should now be able to run the game in full servers
- Modifiers that dramatically impact a round (e.g. random jump) have been made more expensive
- Parts that hurt players have been made more distinguishable, they now have animated ‘lava’ textures
- An option to disable the mous camera lock has been added
- Pressing a menu’s open key or opening another menu will now close all other open menus
- The player’s avatar has been made more visible on the minimap
- The “falling scream” mechanic now only triggered when you have fallen a certain distance, instead of being triggered after falling for a certain amount of time
- The chat UI has been moved to the middle left of the screen to prevent conflicts with the health bar
- Nearby players now have a smoother hide/show transition when the “hide nearby players” setting is enabled
- Respawn time after death has been reduced from its previous 6 seconds
- The game’s menus now have visual & audio feedback for things like button clicks
- It is no longer possible for players to get below the tower
- Various soundtracks from Evan King’s “20XX” album have been added to the game
- When earning & losing currency, there is now a visible & auditory UI animation that more clearly indicates what is happening
- The tower model has had significant optimizations made to it, this should improve performance in the game
- The way we handle player avatar collisions has been changed, this should signficiantly improve game performance
- It is no longer possible for players to enter a “fall scream” state while in a wall-slide
- Fixed an issue that would break the shop & inventory menus if they were closed while interacting with them
- Tower height has been increased to 6 levels, and round duration has been decreased. This should make the race to the top more competetive!
- Fixed an issue that would break player movement abilities if they were falling at the end of a round.
- The game’s sound effects and music have had their volumes rebalanced, this should result in a more pleasing soundscape