Support for limitless mesh imports (size) and import raw collision data

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to import meshes over the 2048x2048x2048 size limit.

Having such a harsh constraint on mesh sizes means we have to separate meshes which leads to poor shading issues and dodgy collisions at mesh edges.

An example of this is roads, after splitting my roads up in Blender when you drive a vehicle over the seam between 2 meshes the vehicle leaps in the air. How does that even make sense if the vertices are lined up perfectly? Not to mention the insanely inaccurate collisions, even with PreciseConvex CollisionFidelity the collisions are awful, naming it Precise is just misleading. In any other engine meshes would work flawlessly in this application.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because we’d finally be able to create full games out of meshes without the worry of collisions or terrible shading issues when separating meshes.

3 Likes

ROBLOX isn’t going to do this because it “puts too much stress on lower-end devices”. Lower-end devices shouldn’t be running ROBLOX, then.

The problem starts when a very large portion of the playerbase is using lower-end devices.

1 Like

I completely understand this, as I know large parts are performance-heavy. But this is putting a cap on the capabilities of the platform entirely? There has to be a compromise somewhere, I also know that mobile contributes to a large percentage of DAU but even so the restrictions put on us is crazy.

2 Likes