Support for Windows XP and Vista ending soon

The current number of people using XP and Vista is very slim. Microsoft also dropped support for the operating systems years ago. These operating systems are outdated and are holding back the Roblox client. In addition, Roblox is no different on XP and Vista than it is on 7, 8.1, and 10 so there is virtually no point to actually reviewing Roblox on retro XP and Vista systems.

It is more than time for Roblox to officially drop support for XP and Vista so engineers can focus on continuing to push Roblox forward.

1 Like

I still use Roblox on my old machine, it was running fine and i’d say greatly, most of us played Roblox in 2006-2014 when XP and Vista was still supported by Microsoft, I could’ve did more things since Roblox Studio stopped supporting those operating systems sadly, eveyone could remember playing it on old machines, it is sad to see it being discontinued.

3 Likes

if there a download to get the sdk and dlls for vista or xp ?
and if it possible why do not instal the sdk the day of the update date ?

1 Like

That means i need to upgrade mine OS to Windows 7 Ultimate or Higher, so i can continue playing ROBLOX?

1 Like

I remember when I first started playing Roblox as a guest on my windows XP desktop in 2011. Lots of nostalgia from windows XP. But its good that Roblox is moving forward, XP now is only good for servers and machinery now.

2 Likes

You’ll need to upgrade to any version of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10.

With 7 going to lose official support by Microsoft (not Roblox), and 8 likely meeting the same fate not long after, I strongly suggest biting the bullet and upgrading to Windows 10, as there will not be any more “major re-releases” of Windows.

1 Like

I don’t know why Windows XP and Vista were still supported until now, doesn’t make a lot of sense considering most people don’t use those operating systems anymore. But still a good change.

Windows XP and Vista are quite old by the way and Windows 7 not really good but when I had it the Roblox were fine but updates for Windows was taking forever to update, etc and I had to create a media tool for Windows 10 and it’s the best. Especially, exist 8.1 but I prefer 10. xD

It was time to end support for this ancient OS. Many modern programs don’t work on XP anyway. (Discord, Steam, Google Chrome
)

1 Like

To be fair, Windows XP did stop support in 2014, and Windows Vista was notable for being defective starting from launch, so I agree with this announcement

1 Like

Yeah Windows XP did end support in 2014, and then on 2019 Roblox ending support for Windows XP and Vista so time for people who’s on the os too upgrade before it did I agree with this announcement

1 Like

Along with what @AtomicOperation said about this, there are also a lot of younger players who can’t afford to purchase newer versions than Windows 7 that are living in more economically developing countries and cities/towns. These players, I’m sure, are also a decent percentage of the overall players, and thus roblox would lose even more players than it will by disabling XP/Vista by disabling 7 in 2020

2 Likes

And the very newest versions of Blender, which a lot of players have upgraded to

I hope Debian and Ubuntu are going to be supported

Drivers are not an issue, you can download closed source drivers from Debian non-free branch

Other issue would be like nobody uses linux. I know linux gamers and I am one of those. But still there is not players on linux.

But as I am linux gamer I hope linux gets native Roblox client

4 Likes

Question, after Roblox drops support for XP and Vista, will we be seeing a 64 bit client? Considering Roblox Studio is already 64 bit, many games are well detailed, which I begin to notice a performance loss especially on a high end PC. Since 32 bit programs are limited and capped to 4 gigs of memory usage, some users were experiencing crashes due to this issue. Since Roblox Studio is 64 bit, there are less reported issues of memory allocation errors than the client itself.

3 Likes

Me too, I Guess my XP experience on ROBLOX since 2007 has ended

They touched on this at RDC, they said they weren’t going to, as the majority of players aren’t interested on Roblox for Linux, however they’re interested in porting it for Developers
https://youtu.be/5gNzFsJlFbo?t=1569

1 Like

I’ll try it on my XP computer next week. I will try different test and send you guys some speed results.

Did you forget about switching it off?

2 Likes

Please read Support for Windows XP and Vista ending soon - #37 by AtomicOperation. It’s really not that simple. A lot of the newer librarys that will improve Roblox on newer systems only work on these newer operating systems.

2 Likes