Surface Appearances seem to not be working?

With the new “Future” lighting released, I tried to use the new Surface Appearance object. However, in the properties, it’s not showing me the various fields for mappings. Is this a studio bug?

1 Like

A number of properties for it are tagged as LocalUserSecurity which is why they aren’t showing up. Why that might be, I don’t know. Perhaps they don’t want people using it before it’s released.

It’s still pending on the release notes:
Screenshot_20200626-125830_Chrome
There’ll probably be an announcement before it’s live.

1 Like

This feature is not yet ready for use. Ideally we should hide it from the insert menu until it’s ready. We will make an announcement when you can use this.

4 Likes

Got it. Thank you for the info. I was just a bit confused because it popped up in the live studio.

Do you have a general idea when SurfaceAppearances are going to be live? I just wanted to scope the project release date since if it’s not getting released within a few months, I should just use regular Roblox materials for now.

We split the whole “custom PBR textures” project into 2 parts:

1. SurfaceAppearance only for UV-mapped MeshParts - will launch a Studio only beta in a few weeks and enable in games once it’s stable
  2. Generic tiled materials that work on all Part types - will release a few months from now
4 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for the info. In terms of SurfaceAppearance only for UV-mapped MeshParts, this means stuff like roughness, normal, and various height maps right?

^^ Here are the weapons without PBR

^^ Here are the weapons with PBR

Can’t wait… hahaha

2 Likes

This makes me wonder, would pbr decal instances ever be a thing?

1 Like

Hey! are there an updates on this? Tiling is really important, as it makes it tens of times harder to set up a game that uses PBR textures, when you are unable to tile the PBR textures.

4 Likes

I know this topic is not active, but I really want tiling to be added since I have a perfect seamless surface apperence material that I want to use for a floor, but I don’t want to keep Ctrl + D around about 100 times for a simple floor.

4 Likes

It’s been quite a while - Is there any update on the second half of this? Currently, I have to make unique UV-mapped meshparts for every tiled PBR material I make, and it really does begin to impact performance for the end-user.

1 Like

Hey! when could it be avaible to tile PBR texture? its really important when you are making a game full of realistic PBR meshes.
I am really waiting for this release.

2 Likes

I apologize for the late response, but has the generic tiled materials update released publicly yet? I’ve been experimenting recently with new PBR materials for parts to change map designs, etc and I was curious if you guys might have any updates on that.

2 Likes

I know this thread is not active at this time, however, I’d still appreciate a follow up on this feature along with some updates. Surface Appearance tiling is a fundamental feature that needs to be added to surface appearance, along with option to change the Color3 value of the colormap. I’d appreciate any sort of update, or sign that you guys are still working on features for surface appearance and plan to implement them soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.