SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

It is better than better ?
Yes !
ITS BETTER THAN THE REAL LIFE !!!

3 Likes

Wow! This surely is amazing.
Combining this with Future Lighting will make Roblox realistic!
I don’t think some 2007 players will recognize roblox today!

We aren’t lego builders anymore :wink:

9 Likes

Exactly what is bothering me. I have parts that need different reflection and this option is really needed

3 Likes

This update seems pretty cool. Can’t wait to use it.

If only my PBR materials got through moderation. It’s not like I need rounds and rounds of testing on images before I get it right. I AM SO GLAD that we don’t have to wait for moderation and can directly use our local images directly in studio. It makes development so much more quicker.

P.S if you didn’t get, you have to go through moderation it takes forever. I’m very disappointed. Is there any plans on letting us use local images and then allowing us to choose when to upload it to Roblox? Compared to other engines it takes years to get it right. Would it be better to simply modify studio manually for this behavior?

4 Likes

That is really beautiful, I can’t wait to see it in-game. :smile:

5 Likes

I’m seeing a similar issue and I’ve created a bug report for it here - it looks related to using FBX meshes:

I’ve also created a bug report for this issue as well:

11 Likes

What lighting settings do I need to get normal maps to work?

I can’t get them to work at all.

5 Likes

Are you trying to make the game realistic? If so I suggest to use ShadowMap, pretty sure that’s what it is called.

2 Likes

Actually nuts
I’m also a fan of making new features like these into objects placeable in parts rather than applied from some obscure methods via scripts or something- been seeing the trend return to objects which is easy for existing/ new devs to pick up

3 Likes

You need to view the properties of the lighting. Go to the properties button and click it. Then, go to lighting in the explorer and configure it.

Graphics quality exists on Roblox, so I imagine it would be disabled/have less visual quality on lower graphics levels, probably even disabled entirely on quality level 1 for optimization.

4 Likes

just am hyped from this feature… I can‘t wait to see what we can do with this new instance here!

1 Like

To make Normal map work use OBJ and not FBX.

1 Like

This is amazing how Roblox graphics have come from the most simple “lego-looking” to professional quality lighting effects; keep up the good work for the community!

I will be looking forward to implementing the upcoming features listed on the road-map, into my games. Amazing! :hushed:

1 Like

This was also an issue with the Avatar Evolution builds, interesting that it hasn’t been fixed.

2 Likes

Do map textures not work if they’re pending moderation? I’m trying to get this normal map to work on a mesh but it’s simply not working.

11 Likes

Some tiles are not showing up correctly

37 Likes

I just love it Very nice Feature

3 Likes

Just place the uv’s in such a way that there’s no stretching. then scale the uvs of all wall faces so they have the same height.

2 Likes

Well better go get back into studio.

I’m now thinking to make a sword fight like realism now with the new Future Work!

1 Like