SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

Really good update. transformed my hand painted helmet into a metalic pbr texture and its doing the job correctly !

my only suggestion for this is to split metalness/roughness scales instead of having them both in one single specular scale property. this can be a problem for a huge game with multiple asset styles as metalness/roughness values can change depends on the asset.
normals depth would be a cool feature to add as well.

Screenshot_1496

15 Likes

That’s so cool lol. Looks even better than if it was just imported to roblox itself. Definitely a good update for that cause.

1 Like

rock

mesh made by someone else

17 Likes

That looks so cool, are you planning on making a suit for it?

1 Like

Can you no longer modify the roughness and metalness scale manually like in the avatar evolution build? Is it limited to maps only now?

2 Likes

Sadly, it seems so. I really was hoping for normal map strength too, because it’s usually not enough.

3 Likes

Can’t wait for this to go out of Beta!
Question:
Does this impact the framerate in games? Will this update have potential to lag players or worsen the games’ performance whatsoever?

5 Likes

this is a beta release. not full release. its probably coming out when its fully released

2 Likes

Over time Roblox has been updating and bringing in new technology to make sure another person doesn’t call Roblox a “Lego Game”.
Love the update, amazing as usual!

5 Likes

I’m hyped for normal maps. No more wasting vertices on what can be mapped!

6 Likes

It is better than better ?
Yes !
ITS BETTER THAN THE REAL LIFE !!!

3 Likes

Wow! This surely is amazing.
Combining this with Future Lighting will make Roblox realistic!
I don’t think some 2007 players will recognize roblox today!

We aren’t lego builders anymore :wink:

9 Likes

Exactly what is bothering me. I have parts that need different reflection and this option is really needed

3 Likes

This update seems pretty cool. Can’t wait to use it.

If only my PBR materials got through moderation. It’s not like I need rounds and rounds of testing on images before I get it right. I AM SO GLAD that we don’t have to wait for moderation and can directly use our local images directly in studio. It makes development so much more quicker.

P.S if you didn’t get, you have to go through moderation it takes forever. I’m very disappointed. Is there any plans on letting us use local images and then allowing us to choose when to upload it to Roblox? Compared to other engines it takes years to get it right. Would it be better to simply modify studio manually for this behavior?

4 Likes

That is really beautiful, I can’t wait to see it in-game. :smile:

5 Likes

I’m seeing a similar issue and I’ve created a bug report for it here - it looks related to using FBX meshes:

I’ve also created a bug report for this issue as well:

11 Likes

What lighting settings do I need to get normal maps to work?

I can’t get them to work at all.

5 Likes

Are you trying to make the game realistic? If so I suggest to use ShadowMap, pretty sure that’s what it is called.

2 Likes

Actually nuts
I’m also a fan of making new features like these into objects placeable in parts rather than applied from some obscure methods via scripts or something- been seeing the trend return to objects which is easy for existing/ new devs to pick up

3 Likes

You need to view the properties of the lighting. Go to the properties button and click it. Then, go to lighting in the explorer and configure it.