SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

I’ve encountered a bug, when i insert an asset containing surfaceappearance some of the meshes dont seem to work.

inserted asset:

same exact model in studio:

as you can see it seems that SurfaceAppearance failed to load on some meshes, while it did load on the bumper it failed to load on the headlights chrome area, also on the hood and the rest of the body which appear to be matte.
The body and the bumper share the exact same SurfaceAppearance object, with the same textures for metalness and roughness, but while on the bumper it seems to have loaded, the same isnt happening for the rest.

edit: environment diffuse and specular are set to 1 in the lighting on studio and in the online test place, this also seems to happen in the same exact way on different games.

4 Likes

also can you share the retroreflective parts if you want to cause would help me alot!

How does anyone using specular maps get past the moderation problem?
I’ve gotten like a 50% moderation rate and quickly end up with a warning uploading specular maps.
Images that look pretty blank get moderated very heavily and moderators aren’t even trained to understand that specular maps kind of look blank.

Aside from having a slew of alt developer accounts that you throw away when they get perma banned, how does someone who does not wish to have that incredible hassle disrupt my workflow get to a point where I can upload PBR textures without getting repeatedly moderated?

And more so that the moderators don’t even know or understand PBR so they don’t even approve them when you go through moderation appeal and instead give you this trash about risking your account further by changing one pixel and re-trying.

They have no understanding of this situation either.

no understanding

It’s as if there’s no one in Roblox that understands the nature of PBR textures conflicts with the old moderation system and has done nothing to compensate for it.

I’m sure the staff putting up these demos and telling us to do it are immune to moderation.
I say Roblox staff should subject their accounts to the same moderation we face so they can understand how absolutely absurd texturing itself already is, let alone PBR.

Something needs to change or this will never be really functional.

6 Likes

I made a simple retro-reflective shape as a pattern on Photoshop as a repetitive pattern,

Summary

image ColourMap
image Roughness Map
image Metallic Map

I had no Normal map,

End result:

Summary

Same, I’ve encountered it in the floors of one of my showcases as well

Strange, I’ve done the same thing and it got past moderation just fine.

It happens a lot, just find a lot of PBR textures and try uploading them, eventually you will get moderated for an unknown reason.
I managed to get a warn using this, but I fixed it by reuploading a very slightly darker version later.

2 Likes

I’ve had 5 warnings that I can think of off the top of my head recently on this account uploading textures.
A few of them got reversed, some the responses took so long with moderation that I ended up going past my 30 days and they wouldn’t fix them.

I got 9 when I posted that and actually stopped developing the map while I wait for them to fix my textures. Uploading on alts does not work for me, especially not with the type of security I use to secure my textures and GUIs.

I find quite a few people that have the problem.

Maybe if you upload a short number of them, but there’s no way you can upload things like an entire map using PBR and get off without a warning.

At the current rate, it will take me several months of moderation to get through this map.

As you can see, it’s a town on water, so everything is wet. The specular map for something looking “wet” is actually barely visible, it’s just a feint layer bringing the color away from white. To a moderator that doesn’t understand specular, it’s just blank.

To me, it’s the difference in my map looking realistic, especially when half of them worked and the other half didn’t. I’m afraid to keep working on this right now because the moderation % is WAY higher than normal textures which I’ve already gotten several warnings for.

Oh and to note, not a single one of my specular maps was restored by my appeal.
If I keep uploading at this rate I’ll end up perma-banned.

8 Likes

I guess I’m lucky, since I’ve never gotten moderated for pbr assets yet. (I’ve only uploaded a few though, so that might be why). But I’ve also been moderated for perfectly fine textures (they were a stone E and a made up noodle shop logo) and I never get a moderation note for them. I reuploaded the EXACT SAME IMAGES on the same account and they were not moderated. Does anyone have any idea why moderation has been being weird as of recent?

same situation here, but I never got a warning. The textures just got rejected for some odd reason.

It takes several in shorter time span to get a warning. Depending on the time gap, it can take 3-5 or more consecutive moderations to receive a warning.

For people who do limited work with it, that isn’t as likely to happen. For people who build maps, scenes or collections in 3D modeling software or objects with multiple textures to one object such as buildings, this is where it becomes a real problem.

I have already stopped allowing the bulk importer to being in textures. It’s bad enough I have to apply them all again manually to avoid the ban. Now, I can’t even get moderation to correct the problem.

1 Like

The reply I made above was actually meant for you. Unfortunately I’m on my phone.

1 Like

Has anybody had the transparency bug with the forest pack trees, If so is there a workaround for them at the moment or something we need to wait for them to fix? It’s something more recent after they implemented the indoor lighting env map thing I believe… Inside of studio, the trees look normal but during runtime, they fade out and become more transparent. I’ve attempted to clone the surfaceappearance during runtime but no luck so far.

Suffered that too, change the filename

No, it’s because of a backend upgrade to SurfaceAppearance textures.

Ah ok. That makes more sense, does anybody know if there’s an ETA when it’s gonna be fixed, or is it just something we gotta wait on.

This is just horrendous. Please do something about the fuzziness on lower graphic settings. I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place between this and the old style of foliage which has decal fighting issues.

10 Likes

Turns out it’s not, I just asked the Roblox staff that posted the SurfaceAppearance backend upgrade thread how to fix it, awaiting a reply.

Tremendously Awesome! This could change the graphics

Please let us know if you hear back at all.

1 Like