SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

Is there something wrong with the metalness + roughness that makes things look more “shinier” as if roughness was ignored? Or is it just the roblox lighting system or a mistake on my part.

Ex: In blender - https://i.gyazo.com/a558b945fac98cd80fa94b26710260f1.jpg

Ex: In Roblox - https://i.gyazo.com/8edb53a61e9ab73f21bef7c936d25de5.png

As you can see the blender picture looks far more rougher then the roblox version which seems to ignore roughness entirely.

2 Likes

SurfaceAppearance looks extremely low quality and has a weird white outline in certain angles and in the distance. Strangely enough, there’s only 1 plant’s leaves texture in my game that doesn’t have this issue, which is strange because all of my other plant textures are made in the same ways.

4 Likes

We need emissive maps, so that we can make use of the neon material, kind of like the metalness maps. This would be of huge use for me in my car game, as the guages could look 10x better at night with a little glow.

4 Likes

just scale the uvs larger. they already are tileable.

1 Like

That does work, but for me I have a massive plane, and the quality gets significantly reduced after a certain point.

1 Like

the quality gets reduced? could you show screenshots?

2 Likes

the one on the left is 1 texture, the one on the right was tiled 10 times (both plane size and texture)

2 Likes

and the texture file used for both is exactly the same? only the UVs are different, right?

2 Likes

Yes, its the same texture file

1 Like

huh, that is strange. i think that would warrant a bug report or its own thread or something.

1 Like

I’m not certain what’s going on with SurfaceAppearance when the AlphaMode is at Transparency but it seems to be faded after some time, like when I reopen studio the next day. It’s like the shaders aren’t compiling the same. If I copy over the surface appearance from the right one to the left one, it gets fixed even if they have literally the same data. From time to time when messing with the trees, they reload and appear normally.

I have no logical explanation as to what’s going on except it has maybe something to do with the metalness map. I left it blank and it seems to flip a coin and either render a certain way or not. And if I set the metalness map to something other than empty, it looks like the faded version on the left.

Here are some screenshots
Whenever I open studio:

How it should always be (or when I copy the right SurfaceAppearance over the left):

Bug report:

6 Likes

How did you manage to do reflectivity? I’m very curious.

2 Likes

The same happens to me, though, it is temporary.

Most of the time, it either stays(Referring to the first image, left tree) like that for a couple of minutes or even requires me to restart my computer, other times it just flashes like that and then goes back to normal.

2 Likes

How did you make the ground? Was it model in blender?

Nevermind, I’m so dumb that I forgot to publish the game. It works well now.

Will height maps ever be added? Because this would be a great improvement for Roblox if so. Height maps give a lot more detail to textures, I am a material designer and height maps are the key points for any texture.

I think you mean, support for Tessellation and Parallax Occlusion. Hight maps only contain height data, and when added to a game/engine, it doesn’t really do much

the normal map dit it itself so yeah thats very cool, also the skybox is helping with the shading

How did you do the normal mapping if you don’t mind me asking, could you show me? I’ve tried to replicate the same effect but failed to do so, but I did manage to make Retro Reflective patterns stand out more with reflectivity

I just used materialize and it became reflective by itself, Im also trying to make retroreflective patterns. here is the assetid of the normalmapping
Shiny soft plastic thingymajig: rbxassetid://5081659169
and the leather: rbxassetid://5081431813