SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

Okay, I may have exaggerated saying its CLEARLY compressing, however I really wanted to prove that statement you said wrong because of how I’ve noticed compression happen.

Also, yeah the second picture shows compression mainly on the 4 main numbers on the front of the design, not the back with the nutrition facts. My bad. Still, it does prove Colormaps can be compressed and that Meshpart.TextureID shouldn’t ever be deprecated due to not only the fact it doesn’t compress as much, but also that its values can still be changed during runtime with any regular in-game scripts. Mainly showed this in a rush this because of this statement:

You can request for better SurfaceAppearance texture compression if it’s bothering you this much, you don’t need to write a tirade based on me suggesting to use SurfaceAppearances since they’re superseding TextureID.

If you don’t want visible compression, then yes, use TextureID. It’s as simple as saying that.

2 Likes

Alright, listen here: in normal ganeplay where you would close to never even look extremely close to textures to spot the world’s tiniest compression

2 Likes

A game I’m making with PBR meshes and Raytracing!!

10 Likes

The game looks very very good, but sadly I already know there aren’t any raytracing involved.

1 Like

HOLY ZOINKS, that looks cool! One question though, how does it perform?

1 Like

thanks! in answer to your question, terribly, this map has many, many different parts, all with pbr, so it runs terribly. gonna switch to a different map tho. that will help it considerably

2 Likes

nah, there is a raytracing thing made by someone, uses raycasts to position point lights and stuff. runs badly, though.

That’s uh, not ray tracing, that’s just a poor attempt at some kind of global illumination.

3 Likes

yeah, i guess so. ig i don’t know much about global illumination. tbh, it’s a plug-in, so i don’t know much about me it

I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the skybox.

My FPS game. Model overhaul (mostly). No global illumination this time. I’m just just showing one gun this time even though there are many, many more.

There is really bad lighting quality however

6 Likes

I like this feature but it has some prroblems and that why i cant continue my project,

First of all, its not yet avaible to tile the materials to make hem work like textures, i found a hack for it by parenting a humanoid to workspace, but its not really usefull, you cant scale them on the way you like, and when you make the part bigger on the sides, the texture moves.

My next point is the realism of pbr materials, its really gonna be cool if roblox added a height apperance to make int more reallistic, because when you go to websites you always see a hght map for the textures but its currentely not avaible in roblox,

I hope they develop this part more because its really important for people who are trying to make a realistic game

2 Likes

I’d like to add a few features to these suggestions;

• Specular Slider, so we don’t need to upload an image and hope we get the roughness right, if not we have to upload another image and the loop continues.

• Normalmap Strength, so we can actually make normal maps stronger or weaker without having to do some hacky way in an external software

• Secondary maps, if you look in Unity you can see that each material can have more than 4-5 maps each, for example: Detail normal Maps.

10 Likes

yes, roblox should ad those features,
i wanted also that roblox made pbr avaible for parts and unions. but thats the less important thing for me.

2 Likes

That’s coming with custom materials.

1 Like

Oh yeas so what is it actually? custom materials?
and when is it going to be released?
i heard about it but i dont know XD

Yeah you can upload your own PBR materials under a new materials tab. You will also (presumably) be able to modify default materials.

This is great because we can then finally use PBR materials on parts & unions.

2 Likes

Normal Maps are in Roblox and its a much more accurate way to define height and direction than standard Height Maps.

Example of Normal Maps:

1 Like

Yes toure right,
But the normal maps in roblox arent full 3D here is an example

you see the difference? the other one is more with height difference

2 Likes