SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

Oh, you’re talking about Parallax Occlusion Mapping. That can be achieved with both normal and height maps (it’s better with normal maps tho) but the addition of height maps will not automatically bring parallax occlusion to Roblox. The feature needs to be coded in before it can actually be put to use.

3 Likes

I feel that the height difference is good enough. You’ll be fine, nobody will ever know.

Actually, when is this feature going to be released? i really exited for it, i also cant continue my builds because the pbr feature is not fully released.

It is released, it’s not not avaliable for parts yet.

Haha woops, wrong thing!

But you can use meshparts without any meshID for a temporary solution for PBR on meshparts, which will act like custom materials, but with no tiling.

Yes but its awkward, becuse i ant tile it like normal textures, that the whole problem of PBR

1 Like

Yeah I know, that’s the ONLY feature we need to make functional games actually look good.

I mean sure emissive materials are needed, but that isn’t as important as tiling.

3 Likes

this flickering is a bug probably
https://gyazo.com/321e98b5d566f33d9f21ec24eb48a973

Woah, now I can’t wait to see the future of ROBLOX.

1 Like

So pbr does not sometime’s work for me in-game

that pic is in-game live.
That pic is in inside studio
Is this a bug?

1 Like

Yeah, why not? Anyway, It’s a very nice update. I love it.

6 Likes

It’d also be awesome if Roblox allowed 2k or even 4k resolution for PBR images. Currently, Roblox compresses all images to 1k resolution if it exceeds 1k (i think), so some bigger maps for bigger meshes or smaller details appear low-res and pixally.

8 Likes

But do you know when they are going to anounce it? and where can i get more information about it?, i am so exited and really cant wait til they add this fueture so i ca continue my realistic game project :grinning:.

1 Like

GUYS what does this mean?

2 Likes

If you read the recent Updates in #updates you can see that there is a materialservice that’s recently released.

1 Like

Just saw it yes XD
i am happy they added it

Great update! But this is a little annoying

2 Likes

You’re using an outdated version of PBR textures.

Here’s the new one.

3 Likes

PBR isn’t technically outdated. The material service is more of an addition.

8 Likes

The humanoid makes the meshes normal maps to work like default material and increase its quality. Here are some examples:
Without humanoid:

!

With humanoid:

One image is with humanoid and other without humanoid. You might not see the difference in before images due to the color map.

Please fix this bug as fast as possible. Affecting free meshes.

5 Likes

You should specify the fix as “make all normal maps look like Humanoid normal maps” because i really don’t want normal maps to be as downgraded as the non-humanoid version

1 Like