SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

Could we possibly also get support for emissive maps in the future it could allow us to do some pretty cool things.

6 Likes

Happy DevForum cake day!

I am also beyond excited, I am working on a game and we were waiting for this feature to be added!

Can’t wait for bugs to be ironed out so I can see it in games, good work again Roblox Dev Team!

2 Likes

This is really cool, But you gotta be on max graphics to see any difference.
Gonna be a while before i use this since I still don’t know how to texture…

1 Like

Can’t wait for all the cool places that will incorporate this new technology :grin:

2 Likes

This is a sick addition to ROBLOX.

3 Likes

“Use” in this context means in a published, public game. You can do whatever you want with them on your own computer, playing around in the Studio beta (or Blender, or 3DSMax or whatever). If you publish a game with Quixel assets, yes, you should properly license them by obtaining the $19/mo personal license and retaining it as long as your game is online (unless your game is grossing over $100k devex, in which case you need a higher-tier subscription).

2 Likes

OMG YES!!!

I have been waiting for this update, and this update allows me to get the desired lighting effect I want with the new lighting update!!

No more shiny concrete!!!

2 Likes

Try converting your mesh into an OBJ file if you imported your mesh to roblox as a FBX file.

2 Likes

This is gonna be really insane, can’t wait for modelers such as my self use it

1 Like

It looks like we won’t need to export Meshes and all that into Blender and other sources for GFX soon. This is some really nice stuff!

1 Like

Long overdo change, but glad we’re finally moving forward in terms of lighting and rendering.

1 Like

This seems all cool and stuff but will surface appearance be coming to special meshes or will it only be meshparts?

4 Likes

Put together this scene using some Bridge assets and lighting settings.

Uploading each texture for each mesh (4) is a hassle and probably took up most of my time making this. The actual fidelity of the textures and meshes is VASTLY improved and I don’t think I can look at a normal TextureID-ed mesh the same way again.

42 Likes

Yay! The wait is finally almost over! I am loving the comparison shown in the post. I think this update will change Roblox graphics forever! Now all I need todo is figure out how to use it.

1 Like

So when do we get realistic characters as seen in some of the first(good looking) 3D games? We’re still stuck the classic Roblox and Roblox’s failed attempt at this(Rthro)

I mean just something like this, would be stupidly hard to make in Roblox.

We also need fingers that can move.

8 Likes

I’m really excited for this. I have been building in studio and Blender for years now and can’t wait to see what kind of changes and improvements I can do with this.

There is a hiddden secret if u look iniside the mask of the player :wink:

7 Likes

I notice there are no longer MetalnessScale or RoughnessScale properties like there were in the AE build, which makes it rather annoying to have materials with a consistent roughness/metalness because they now require a texture. Is there a chance these will return?

7 Likes

Just when I leave the Beta Program. :mad: Well time to opt back in lol!

1 Like

Roblox is becoming more and more realistic and better by each update

1 Like