SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

This was so worth the wait, now we can go to the next level!

Probably going to cause alot of lag for mobile users. But looks exciting.

I think an even better next step would to allow games for optional downloadable content for shaders and etc to increase loading times.

I’d put 100% support into optional downloading of games all together but I know many developers and Roblox disagree because Roblox’s main advertising point is “play on demand”.

I just think that if we want to see in depth games like those showcase photos of what Roblox is capable, loading on demand is going to struggle.

It looks more realistic with this feature. I really like it.

2 Likes

Question!

Will surface appearance be available for unions?

4 Likes

This new feature only works at higher graphics levels so if mobile users set their graphics levels to low levels, nothing will have chamged.

1 Like

umm

6 Likes

This is awesome!

Are there any plans to allow light to illuminate / filter through thin materials and the likes? E.g. I want light to illuminate the insides of my avatar’s wings:

27 Likes

If I understood that right, you are basically asking for something that’s called subsurface scattering/translucency, I doubt that we will see something along the lines anytime soon as it can have a fair impact on performance, or at-least it won’t run on anything that calls itself Intel HD.

9 Likes

Ditto to this. Our project relies heavily on special meshes in a way that meshparts cannot act as a replacement (special meshes can be scaled beyond 2048 studs), and we observed that surfaceappearance worked on special meshes in the avatar evolution test build. If this behavior can be carried over to the final surfaceappearance, which I assume it will be (as will be surfaceappearance on regular parts), it would be greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

You might not know the answer to this at this time, but will emissive textures actually emit light in the same way a point/spot/surface light would?

2 Likes

Wow, such an improvement! :heart_eyes:

Before:

After:

21 Likes

Yes, it looks like this is happening to a few people. This looks like a bug.

I’d appreciate if you, and anyone else, can send me model/place files with content where you are seeing issues.

7 Likes

Yep, that’s what I was trying to describe!

Yeah, hopefully we’ll get it at some point because it’d make for some really cool visuals.

2 Likes

Running into an issue where FIB Point lights are not affecting the lighting on my meshes at all.
Natural Lighting:

Pointlight Lighting:

UPDATE:
Apparently shadows cast by blocks do not affect my models at all:

9 Likes

Looks like star wars battlefront 2 not gonna lie

6 Likes

Man, I can’t wait for part and csg support. Then we can truly have custom materials.

7 Likes

This is a very good update, I admit it. But I will only use it when it fully comes out because I am a horror game maker mostly, but I make other games too.

This would be a very good oppurtinity for the horror game makers out there! And especially for my forest horror looking game. It may can replace my textures on trees, cars and much more. Thank you

1 Like

Wow! That looks amazing. This is such a great update from Roblox

2 Likes

This is, insane, to say the least. This is an absolutely huge update to the platform, and gets us farther away from the reputation of “cartoon block game,” along with the most recent FiB update. I’m so excited to implement this in the project I’m working on.

1 Like