SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

i’m literally sobbing. this is probably the one update that will draw me back to producing games. I have been waiting so long to upload my catalog of custom PBR textures, and I can finally do so. Thank you roblox!!

edit: re-reading: why doesn’t it work on normal parts just yet? tuning like normal textures being added?

Im very excited of this to get released :smiley:

This has been one of the most anticipated and necessary features to upgrade the rbx engine. I am thrilled to see it in fruition. Thank y’all for the update. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just want to reply that normal map works if I import OBJ and not FBX. Model is still red tho

62 Likes

Here are some nice examples of Meshes with SurfaceAppearance when combined with FIB Phase 3

All these screenshots are from Roblox Studio:

Can’t wait till this feature is out of beta. It’s gonna be an absolute game changer! :slight_smile:

52 Likes

The mesh parts using cliff uchwaffda, are they missing the roughness map?

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning and a solid example of usage. Assuming this is your work, it’s very impressive.

That looks like its a game I would pay 20 dollars for! Super realistic! Excellent job there!

That guy will be possible to make as a custom game character on Roblox before the end of the year, just not as a standard avatar. You could even do it now in the avatar evolution beta. But you’d have to animate him or source compatible animations (e.g. mixamo) to get finger animation, and you’d be on your own to create face animations if you wanted that. But the tech will be there to rig this guy and have PBR textures on him.

4 Likes

We can make a 3D Poop :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Can’t wait for custom material for non-mesh parts. The feature overall is cool.

3 Likes

Yeah creating a custom character like that would mean you’d have to program everything about the character and completely discard Roblox’s already made character system. Roblox needs a new character rig system.

Hopefully. As long as this custom character doesn’t take up days upon days of my time like a completely new rig system would.

1 Like

Nice nice. This’ll be handy for making stuff shiny.
If an Avatar Evolution thing came out now, looks like the other stuff will follow soon.

1 Like

Either I’m doing something wrong, or it’s just a pretty disappointing update.
Original model:

Roblox imported:

11 Likes

KIASDUAISUDHNASKDJBASDH
Yeah, this is incredible, you can’t stop me from smashing my keyboard.
Seriously, I thought they edited the effects in.
I looked at the pictures before I read it, and I was astounded.
CursedFlushed

13 Likes

Probably going to cause alot of lag for mobile users. But looks fun.

2 Likes

Ok, this is cool I need to use this

1 Like

This is what a community manager from Quixel said
Source

7 Likes

Alright guys and gals, it’s the update we’ve been waiting for! Let’s get some hype!