SurfaceApperance 'Color' property not documented or visible in studio

SurfaceApperance has, since about 6 hours ago, operated with a new property called ‘Color’.
There is no information or indicator on the documentation that SurfaceApperance accepts ‘Color’ as a valid property.
The same goes for Studio where ‘Color’ is not a visible property, but exists and can be read (have not tried to write) using scripts.

My game was affected by this on newer servers as I have an item named ‘Color’ as a child under a SurfaceApperance which essentialy breaks the scripts trying to refrence this item.

Page URL: https://create.roblox.com/docs/reference/engine/classes/SurfaceAppearance

2 Likes

This property has not been enabled yet, it will be documented once it has been.

Naming conflicts like this happen from time to time with new properties.

We do our best to avoid obvious cases where something like this would impact a significant number of developers (for example, we’re very careful with naming when adding properties/methods to the base Instance class) but unfortunately we can’t avoid people occasionally getting bit by the historical choice to make children / properties share the same namespace.

3 Likes

pretty sure the best way to get around having a child with the same name as a properties is to use findfirstchild instead of just indexing with .

don’t know if you already though of this or not, but I just wanted to point that out

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.