SurfaceGui do not render consistently & ViewSelector unavailable while playtesting

Reproduction Steps
Place a surfacegui that’s adorned to a part, with, Face = Enum.NormalId.Top . Afterwards face your camera 90 degrees above the part, facing directly down without any tilts. The camera would be facing the side at which the surfacegui should be visible. This is not the only way to get this bug to appear, but it’s one of the more reliable methods. The bug has been found to occur at other angles as well, but those aren’t as easy to reproduce.

Expected Behavior
I expect the surfacegui to render no matter which angle i’m taking, as long as It is logically within view and the camera is standing against the face on which the gui is plastered.

Actual Behavior
This bug appears only in Roblox studio; it doesn’t seem to appear on the client application. This issue does not occur in edit mode, but does appear during playtests.

The viewselector tool also seems to become unavailable during playtests within studio; but it’s available when just in edit mode.

The rendering errors are not limited to 90 degree angles - as seen in this video:
Processing: 2021-09-29 08-08-00.mkv…

Distance to the Adornee part does not seem to be of any relevance.

Workaround
Testing files on Roblox client avoids this issue partially, considering the viewselector is not available on client.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-09-29 07:09:00 (-04:00)

4 Likes

AFAIK the view selector is just a model inside a ViewportFrame with some backend code. That code may not work on the client, so that’s why they disabled it. Probably.

I’ve found surfaceGuis won’t exist at all until I hover over them in some cases for Studio.

The only reason it didn’t work is because of arbitrary code in the ViewSelector deciding to disable it during playtesting (It showed it when RunService::IsEditing() was true before).

This will be fixed in this week’s release.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.