SurfaceGUI shining through window at certain angles of view

Hi,
I am currently making a train-destination-display for my locomotive and for that I used a TextLabel, as usual. However, while looking at it at certain angles, it shines through the window in front of it like demonstrated in this video: https://youtu.be/pznl-PHWzBM.

What I tried to do:

• Adjust the LightInfluence of the SurfaceGUI
  • Make the TextLabel transparent
  • Move the part containing the SurfaceGUI away from the window

with no success at all.

Here’s the file of the model: 111SurfaceGUIissue.rbxm (16.5 KB).

I hope this issue can be resolved soon.

Have a nice day and kind regards
FloribertHD

Hi there!
It’s a known issue that SurfaceGUI can be a bit wonky with transparent parts. My best recommendation to you is set the LightInfluence to 1 so that it masks the problem a bit or try and use decals. This is an issue I experience on my buses and trust me, it annoys the heck out of me.

It’s not a major issue anyways but I can see how it can be annoying.

(Also, from one transportation dev to another: keep up the good work!)

1 Like

As stated. having any sort of Transparency (or GUI) behind another Transparent object can create issues.
Haven’t tried it but does the same thing happen if you make the window a BlockMesh and place it 2 studs behind where it is now, then have the Offset of the Mesh set to 2 to place the Mesh in front of the display?

1 Like

When I do that, the Union becomes a block (isn’t it supposed to do that? lol). However, when looking through the block, the problem gets a bit less noticable.

Maybe I also caused some confusion, the loco is made with CSG V2, not mesh. If I did cause some confusion, I’m sorry.

Ah, k.
I thought the windows looked like normal Parts with Transparency.

2 Likes