SurfaceGuis don't render within ViewportFrames

SurfaceGuis don’t properly render within ViewportFrames. More specifically, they still render, but they render within the data model where the model is located in the ViewportFrame.

This issue is preventing any meaningful use of ViewportFrames for 3D UIs.

Here’s a video demonstrating the issue:

A link to the place in the video. Please note that you will have to assign the CurrentCamera to the ViewportFrame because that property does not serialize:
ViewportFrameBug.rbxl (21.9 KB)

21 Likes

I don’t think that viewport frames are supposed to render screen guis, however the fact that it renders even though the part isn’t parented to the workspace is probably a bug.

1 Like

Thanks for your report~ Guis are not supposed to be rendered if they are within viewport frames. We are looking into fix for this.

3 Likes

Is there a plan to support UIs rendering in viewport frames at some point?

11 Likes

Sorry, there is no plan yet. You can make a feature request post with use cases. We’ll have better ideas with it.

1 Like

I am going to bump this because surface guis still render in the workspace even when its adornee is parented to a viewport frame. I just encountered this bug in my game and spent a long time looking for the cause. This bug should really be fixed

1 Like

Is there any progress on fixing this issue?

@degamer4k @Elocore as mentioned above by staff this is intended so you’ll want to file a feature request