SurfaceGui.ZOffset not working

I’m having a simple issue with SurfaceGui’s, ZOffset is not doing anything, normally it would

“Offset the SurfaceGui relative to the normal of the surface it is attached to.”

However, when i change the value, the SurfaceGui isn’t offset for some reason.

(It may seem like there’s a change, but that’s caused by slighty different images sizes)

3 Likes

Are you having errors with your code? Could you go more in depth with your issues?

1 Like

There’s no script involved here, Zoffset simply isn’t working as intended

2 Likes

So this is a studio bug. #platform-feedback:studio-bugs is where you should post this, you really didn’t explain either, and you should provide videos of you showing it isn’t working how to replicate this.

1 Like

It may be just me doing something wrong, not a studio bug, plus, if it really was a bug, it would actually go into #platform-feedback:engine-bugs as it’s not editing related, until i can confirm this is a bug i won’t make a report of it.

3 Likes

Can you give us a bit of context as to what the SurfaceGui is for and why it’s ZOffset needs adjusting!, it’ll be easier to diagnose the issue as we’ll know what it’s for! :smiley:

2 Likes

There’s really no need to know the context, but if you want it basically, i want to display the coin’s value in it’s face, however, due to the fact it’s a mesh, i need to adjust the gui so it is attached to the object

1 Like

If I recall correctly there was an update that allowed GuiObjects to have customizable ZIndexBehaviors. I think in the properties window you can change this from sibling (which would make the ZIndex based on the parent-tree) or back to Global (Based on the ZIndex property). Correct me if I am wrong as I’m not 100% sure how well I remember this.

1 Like

Unfortunely even after changing the zindex behavior nothing changed.

1 Like

Looking back on this you might want to be a bit more specific as I’m noticing a few things in the image you provided, so I think you might have meant questions more like this:

Q are you trying to get the surfaceGui to go under the coin mesh’s texture?
A I don’t believe this is currently possible

Q And / or do you think ZOffset makes a surfaceGui pop out in the 3D world?
A ZOffset effects the order of layers in a gui object (ex. making a textLabel appear over imageLabel), it does not effect the 3D world

It’s not what i want to do, i simply want to shift the surfacegui in the 3d world so it fits correctly into the mesh, which from what i understood is what the surfacegui should be doing.

SurfaceGui.ZOffset only changes which surfaceGui appears over another SurfaceGui inside the same part, shown in the picture below:

SurfaceGui.ZOffset does not change where in the 3D world the surfaceGui visibly is and won’t do anything about how a surfaceGui looks on a mesh, I don’t think what you are trying is currently possible.

5 Likes