SurfaceLight gives off hideous shadows

Pretty self explanatory.

I WOULD post this in #bug-reports but due to this forum making it impossible to achieve the needed rank for me to post there, I’m restricted from doing so. If anyone that has access to that section, please report this as well, to get the attention of engineers and developers at Roblox :+1:

Whenever I use SurfaceLight with MeshParts, it gives off REALLY weird shadows, as seen below. This only happens with SurfaceLight, and not anything else.

I also found this bug where if I turn the camera at an angle, the shadows disappear:

I found out this also only happens with future lighting, I hope developers address this quickly, because Future Lighting is so beautiful.

Does anyone have a fix for this? It looks really, really, really bad.

3 Likes

Have you tried using different MeshParts?

2 Likes

No, but I noticed that this also happens on normal parts. It only happens on parts that are long or wide.

1 Like

I haven’t experienced this on a graphics quality lower than 5 before.

2 Likes

Nope, happens on level 10 too… And it ONLY happens with surfaceLights.

You can message your bug report to Bug-Support.

1 Like

Thanks, didn’t know that that existed :smile:

I think the bigger a SurfaceLight is, the lower resolution the shadows of it become. SurfaceLights are super janky with Future lighting in general, so I’d recommend using the two other light types or if you really need a SurfaceLight, disabling shadows.

1 Like