Swapping package body parts kills character

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

When using Humanoid:ReplaceBodyPartR15(), it sometimes kills the character:

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

This happens frequently - around 1 out of every 5 package swaps.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

This bug happens in Adopt Me among other places: https://playadopt.me

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

This has been happening since the Humanoid:ReplaceBodyPartR15 was first introduced

7 Likes

This is still a huge issue Humanoid.ReplaceBodyPartR15 will occasionally kill players and cause negative impact on User Experience.

I can NOT use HumanoidDescription because I am not using IDs so this has to be fixed for ReplaceBodyPartR15 to be reliable and maintain good User Experience.

Especially games that is sensitive upon dying or have an Avatar Customization system.

1 Like

We’ll take a look into fixing this

2 Likes

We decided we’re not going to fix this issue at the moment, as it’s fixable in script. What you need to do is send a remote event to the client before starting to swap body parts. When the client gets the event, run this to stop the dead state:

humanoid:SetStateEnabled(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Dead, false)

Then after you’ve finished swapping body parts, send another remote event, so the client can turn back on the dead state:

humanoid:SetStateEnabled(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Dead, true)

This should fix the issue

6 Likes

As far as I’m aware this is still an issue, and that fix does not solve it.

4 Likes

This is still an issue. I can confirm your fix does work, contrary to what ColdDeveloper said, but why is this function even broken?? Unless a dev knows this hacky work around this function is totally unusable

ColdDeveloper’s issue might be that he was setting the death state on the server, which is what I first tried, and it does not work.

I know this is a giant necro bump but this fix definitely doesn’t work for NPC characters. It’s crazy this update came out literal years ago but still has not been fixed. My current project is swapping out package parts for NPCs and I can’t do anything to prevent their characters from dying. Please look into fixing this again!

Wow this is STILL a problem! Throwing out a non-tested solution that doesn’t work and saying “nope, not gonna fix it” is really bad.