Swingable chain for mace weapon

I’m trying to attempt to create a mace weapon with a chain attached to the handle:

But, as you know, Roblox doesn’t have the best physics, and I can’t just make a chain and have it swing around easily; in fact, I’m not sure how to make this because I haven’t used beams or ropes or springs or messed around with weight properties much; so I came here to ask for some pointers, is this even possible? Do I use hinges, ball socket constraints?

Also, I’m going to be using this is gameplay if I manage to make it work, I need a way to prevent it from glitching through walls and stuff and that’s another issue as well.

1 Like

I as well don’t have experience with those things. I must ask though, is the game you are working on going to be in VR? If it isn’t, I think you could get away with rigging the chain and making animations for when its used in combat. Maybe even an idle swaying animation to not make it look so stiff when not being used. Besides that, I have nothing else to tell you other than good luck. Hope you find a solution! :+1:

That was the plan, I was going to make swing animations and the spike ball would land wherever it hits and it would swing based on the momentum of the handle animations but I’m not sure how to make a chain that will drag and sway like a rope as well as without it breaking or glitching

1 Like

Ok. So, I’ve found a solution, It’s not the best but I think it looks decent and works pretty well.
I’ve created attachments where I want the chain links to rotate, and I’ve added ball socket constraints to the attachments to allow the chains to rotate, then I added twist and angle limits to mimic the chains limited rotation. I also added Max friction torque to make the chains move slower to simulate weight and realism because with none at all it will flop rapidly all over the place.

I still need to tweak a few values but this is the outcome so far:

2 Likes

update

2 Likes

That’s actually awesome. I never thought good Roblox chain physics would be achieved.

1 Like