Sword Art Online 4K Thumbnail Render

Hey guys! Just thought I’d share the newest thumbnail for my Sword Art Online: Burst. I setup a scene and did a 4K render, of which I used 1920x1080 of to make the thumbnail. I’ll post both for you guys to check out!

Here’s the raw render: (or click here for huge 4K edition)

And here’s the final product! (click to enlarge to 1080p)

That. Is. Hot.

What programs did you use? :swag:

[size=1](Awkward late reply)[/size]

I did the render with Blender Cycles (part of Blender vanilla version) and the effects (the cut on the Minotaur, background, motion blur for the end of the sword) in photoshop CS4.

(Credit ROBLOX for the epic export feature)

Looks nice except for how visible each individual polygon is. Doesn’t blender have a way to smooth lighting over polygons in cases like this?

Yep. I didn’t like the smooth version though. It didn’t work quite as well with the ROBLOXian not being smooth, as well as not feeling as “video game”.

Yep. I didn’t like the smooth version though. It didn’t work quite as well with the ROBLOXian not being smooth, as well as not feeling as “video game”.[/quote]

The not being smooth is fine for the monster, but for the Dominus and player bevels it looks wierd since ROBLOX does smooth meshes

Looks amazing! Probably best place thumbnail ever in my opinion!

Great resolution too! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Could you make a tutorial on how to render models using blender?

I feel like it would take too much time. I’ve just used blender for years doing animating and modeling for my unity games so I’m familiar with it. It wouldn’t be worth making a tutorial because it wouldn’t be specific enough. There’s a lot to know. Tons of youtube tutorials on doing renders, managing textures, etc. Plus using Cycles you need to re-setup all of the textures that ROBLOX default exports, and for materials you need to mess with channels and nodes.

Basically, you just want to learn how to import OBJs and how to set up and render them. Once you do that, learn about textures (and various types), after that you’ll want to look at importing. It’s not too tricky if you learn it, it just takes time to learn.

SMOOTH YER POLYS

also, I think it’s weird that your bright building thing cuts off at your sword. I expected it to go all the way down (I realise it’s not supposed to be actually part of the scene but it takes up enough of it that it ought to take up the rest)

[quote] SMOOTH YER POLYS

also, I think it’s weird that your bright building thing cuts off at your sword. I expected it to go all the way down (I realise it’s not supposed to be actually part of the scene but it takes up enough of it that it ought to take up the rest) [/quote]

The bright building is a floating castle. It’s from this image. Just happens to cut off there :stuck_out_tongue: