System Menu Deprecation

You understand that this thread is here to listen to complaints and feedback so the staff can understand why some people haven’t switched right? It’s not the “Stop complaining and just do this already” thread.

2 Likes

Not all feedback is useful. Namely, complaining about something which ROBLOX already designed and implemented a solution for. If you have a problem with that solution then by all means suggest improvements, but that’s not the case here.

I didn’t even know they had a quick access bar for me to namely place what I want for my convenience until I switched. I think aside from that I’d like to have been able to move it around and add breakers.

My only complaint besides that is I feel like I still want to have the ability to make custom tab groups that suite my workflow and that might solve a lot of issues people seem to have. I’m also not a fan of button size, I might try to cut it by 1/4th.

Lastly Dark theme please.

kni0002 left his feedback, and so did a number of other people. Regardless of whether or not YOU think it’s helpful or useful is irrelevant, it’s still some form of feedback. It’s clear people don’t have the same concept of worth that you do for the quick access menu, and that’s an issue that can be extrapolated from the feedback and complaints given so far.

Telling people to stop complaining and use a feature isn’t adding anything constructive to the purpose of this thread, it’s just making it a hostile place for people to voice their opinions.

1 Like

If that was the case then they’d complain about why the Quick Access Menu doesn’t work for them, but that’s not what the posts you’ve pointed to mention. A large number of people are switching to RibbonBar for the first time, and are complaining about the tabs – not the QAM. This is likely because they don’t even know that the QAM exists and haven’t tried it. As I mentioned, if someone doesn’t have the same concept of worth for the QAM as I do, they are more than welcome to voice their opinion on how it could be improved. On the other hand, they have no right to complain about the tabs until they at least try out the potential solution already provided for that.

How are people supposed to give feedback on a feature if the feature is so tucked away that they have no clue it exists? That right there is reason enough to complain about studio UX, let alone complain about the quick access menu.

It’s not totally unreasonable to deduce that people who switched and are complaining about ribbon workflow because they’re trying to use it out of the box, just like how system menu worked. The quick access menu isn’t loaded with all your plugins and buttons out of the box, and I’ll bet 90% of users aren’t delusional enough to fill it up like system menu, they’d rather just go use system menu, which is an already mentioned UX issue with ribbon bar.

Everyone has a right to complain about the problems they have with switching, there is a clear problem with ribbon UX where people can’t find and of the power users features that make it workable. None of us have any right to say people can’t complain about UX issues and finding features, it totally defeats the purpose of this thread.

1 Like

You know what would be nice? An icon resize configuration so we don’t have to edit the XML. Now I’m only saying this cause I feel like it would spare room and also because I installed about 8-9 plugins and I feel like it’s very cramped in Ribbon but I also found myself annoyed with the plugin list in System Mode. This just brings me back to asking for custom tabs so we can combine the regular tools we want with the plugins we want.

1 Like

What I have currently is this:

which has most of the things I need easily accessible. However, beyond the order of the buttons, I have absolutely no control of how I organize the buttons, and I still have to go into the tabs if there’s functionality I need that isn’t in these buttons. It also doesn’t help that Studio likes to occasionally clear these.

Beyond this, I have two main issues with the Ribbon Bar UI. First off, due to the tab system, in many cases I’m forced to retrieve a tool from sub-menus and different tabs. Something that could easily be a one-click operation in SystemMenu now takes two or three - and I can’t really “put away” that tool temporarily so I can access it again easily afterwards. It’s kind of like putting away my power drill into its box, going across the room and putting it back on the shelf just because I need to use a screwdriver, regardless of whether or not I’ll need the drill again 5 minutes later. It’s incredibly inefficient, and while the customizable button bar makes it somewhat easier to work with RibbonBar, SystemMenu is still more efficient.

Secondly, and I’ve brought this up before, there should be no excuse to make buttons that large. I’m pretty sure we all have the motor skills necessary to move our mouse within a 20x20 something pixel square to select the tool we need. It’s not that small. But a lot of the buttons on ribbon bar are a lot larger than that, and it’s just a sorry waste of screen space that I could be using for something else:

A lot of these buttons could be a lot smaller, and because I never open this menu because of how inexplicably huge it is, I’m unfortunately missing out on a lot of features that would be really useful (for example, this is the first time I realize I can set the rotate and move snaps to custom values, never seen it before because I always close this menu).

In the end, I don’t care which UI style I end up using. All I want is tiny buttons I can organize however I want, and I don’t want to have to go digging in tabs and sub-menus and drop down lists for them. System menu provides that, and the only reason I ended up switching was because system menu is “no longer supported” and was causing me to get an increasingly large amount of studio crashes.

7 Likes

Any plans for a drag and drop system to customize where buttons in the ribbon bar are?
And the ability to make/delete/modify groups and tabs?

If we could manipulate the ribbon bar without resorting to opening any XML files, and only do it visually, it’d be 10000x easier to set up. :thumbsup:
(And while you’re at it, fix the button size bug with proxy buttons)

13 Likes

Glad to see I’m not the only one asking for the customization ability of tabs and yes the buttons are far too big, I said it once, I’ll say it again. Let us set it up how we want, give us that much freedom and power in ribbon and you’ll cover the majority of the complaints.

Yes please!

3 Likes

This whole thing is super awesome for everyone. I’ve literally never had my roblox feed filled with the same messages from different people before. And they’re all variations on asking why roblox keeps crashing.

The future of Roblox

I’m pissed.

4 Likes

And not having it been overwritten by an update too, of course.

Here’s my 2 cents for anyone who gives a ****.
I like having as small an area in the toolbar so I can actually see the workspace while I’m working because when I only have only one screen and I have the Properties and Explorer windows open there is about 2/3rds of my screen available to rotate and move tool handles around. I work with small Parts as do many of my detail oriented friends and having to zoom in and out to move a Part is a pain.
I now understand that I can shrink the RibbonBar, but that doesn’t help me when I have to click on multiple tabs to go from one tool to another. The SystemMenu made switching so very easy to go back and forth with.

NOW HERE’S MY BIGGEST PROBLEM! I can’t get into Studio. I tried getting in over the last couple days and it shut me out as soon as the Studio splash screen popped up. I tried uninstalling Studio and now when I go to Edit my places on my Develop tab I get the ROBLOX Player download from ROBLOX instead of the Studio download…

I want my Studio back, even if it’s RibbonBar cuz right now I got nuthin. I want an easily configured small toolbar. I want any customization I do to stay as it is configured. I’m not a scripter or computer whiz so when you tell me ‘Just change the appearance of the RibbonBar’ I say ‘Huh?’.
I also want my SelectionBox to have Transparency so I don’t have to get in ridiculously close so I can see where the Parts actually align, but that request got ignored even though I’ve had almost 100% support for it.

ROBLOX is what I use to let out my frustrations and creativity during the week when life is pissing me off. It does help, but only when I can get on…

From Urist: Just a reminder, we have rules about profanity in the Public category.

5 Likes

Whenever I need to scroll using the script editor in ribbon, I just click in the scrollbar area and hope I pick up the scrollbar. The difference between the scollbar/background color is so little (only 18/255) that I can never tell where it is without careful inspection, and that’s really bad UX.

AutoCAD got it right.

Note that they don’t let users drag-n-drop individual items–instead, they offer a choice of three workspaces with varying detail and information density. The most basic workspace is enabled by default. That setup is both consistent & accommodates all skill levels.

8 Likes

I don’t think drag-n-drop would work well with RibbonBar. It’s not really built for that. I also don’t think presets are a great solution. Full-blown customization of the ribbon like what Office 2013 does offers the most power to users, and customization is user-friendly.

1 Like

Lets talk about the Ribbon Bar theme.

Why does Ribbon Bar have to be so bleached and white?
Why does the scroll bar have to be so ambiguous and difficult to use?
Why does the ribbon have to be so dang big?

3 Likes

I agree that RibbonBar colors need a lot of work. You can collapse the ribbon, so I’m not sure how relevant the ribbon taking up space is – in fact, RibbonBar takes up less space with the ribbon collapsed because it doesn’t have SystemMenu’s menu bar.

Try compatibility mode.