SystemMenu needs to be kept up-to-date with RibbonBar features

I’ve begun noticing that a few useful studio features (Mobile Emulation, Device Pairing, easier network simulation, etc) haven’t been getting added to the SystemMenu version of Roblox Studio, and I’m getting a feeling that roblox is trying to make RibbonBar the primary layout.

Yes. I’m still on SystemMenu. I’ve been here for over 6 years and I’m not really willing to accept change. My problem with RibbonBar is that everything is locked into specific groups, and it can’t be modified at all. There is an XML file for modifying the layout of RibbonBar, but everytime the launcher for Roblox Studio is ran, it gets overwritten. Even if I mark it as a read only file, I still have to keep updating it every time, making sure I don’t miss any new features added to the actual RibbonBar file.

I honestly prefer everything in studio to be in front of me (none of this Home/Model/Terrain/Test/View/Plugins tab junk) with lots of drop down menus. Its just how I’ve used studio for all these years, and I want to keep it that way even if it means moving over to the RibbonBar version of Studio.

EDIT: Somewhat obsolete now thanks to this?
http://developer.roblox.com/forum/look-at-this-cool-creation/12651-roblox-studio-mod-manager#136963

1 Like

SystemMenu is practically deprecated, and for that reason, I disagree. I also disagree because that would slow down updates. If SystemMenu were still something ROBLOX planned to support, then yes, you’re right. But I don’t think it is.

Except it isn’t actually deprecated, codetheorem

Just put in the mobile emulation button into system menu already x_x

I use SystemMenu for three reasons: screen space, customization and ease of access.

I don’t have much screen space to waste, and tripling the size of the tool menus doesn’t help with long blocks of code.

With SystemMenu I can choose exactly where I want my tools to be, and they’re right there all the time. No clicking through various tabs for me :swag:

[quote] I use SystemMenu for three reasons: screen space, customization and ease of access.

I don’t have much screen space to waste, and tripling the size of the tool menus doesn’t help with long blocks of code.

With SystemMenu I can choose exactly where I want my tools to be, and they’re right there all the time. No clicking through various tabs for me :swag: [/quote]

Screen space isn’t really an issue since you can minimize the ribbonbar to just to display the tabs as shown in the screenshot, which you can change to hide or view the tab contents with the arrow. Or you can click a tab while its minimized, the tab contents will appear and it will dissappear once you click away. So when you don’t need to use the UI it doesn’t take up that much space.

To put it in perspective I have a 1440x900 monitor.

it shouldn’t be that hard to just add the other options to systemmenu… it’s literally just drop-down boxes

I wrote a mod for RibbonBar which makes it feel more like SystemMenu (everything in one place except for what is required)

Instructions for getting/maintaining it here:
http://pastebin.com/6JqQqEKH

1 Like

This is why I switched to ribbon bar

No regrets

What’s with the Ribbon Bar’s plugins tab? It’s atrocious.

@Clonetrooper, thanks I’ll check that out.

Edit: I think I fixed it with the narrow arrow on the top left! <:

Edit2: Nope. You can’t shortcut 96% of the plugins. What the heck?

Edit3: Clonetooper, your edited xml hides the majority of plugins for the customization menu
http://developer.roblox.com/forum/development-discussion/12630-solved-ribbon-bar-how-do-i-shortcut-plugins

[quote] I use SystemMenu for three reasons: screen space, customization and ease of access.

With SystemMenu I can choose exactly where I want my tools to be, and they’re right there all the time. No clicking through various tabs for me :swag: [/quote]

Screen space isn’t really an issue since you can minimize the ribbonbar to just to display the tabs as shown in the screenshot, which you can change to hide or view the tab contents with the arrow. Or you can click a tab while its minimized, the tab contents will appear and it will dissappear once you click away. So when you don’t need to use the UI it doesn’t take up that much space.

[/quote]

That’s requires an extra click

[quote] [quote=“TraeMan7” post=136470]I use SystemMenu for three reasons: screen space, customization and ease of access.

[/quote]

That’s requires an extra click[/quote]

Exactly. Even just switching to a different tab can interrupt the work flow.

Can we get an admin response as to how long SystemMenu will be supported? Indefinitely?

1 Like

To put things in perspective, I have a 1366x768 monitor.

I don’t have pixels to spare.

Being someone who used to have to deal with a laptop screen resolution before I got a desktop computer, I can agree with what people here are saying.

Ribbon works fine with large screens, not with small ones. Even if you can minimize the ribbon, it’s still an extra click compared to those who don’t need to minimize it.

I also agree with things being all over the place, I still have trouble finding things to this day because they keep moving shit around.

[quote] [quote=“Sparker22” post=136520][quote=“TraeMan7” post=136470]I use SystemMenu for three reasons: screen space, customization and ease of access.

[/quote]

That’s requires an extra click[/quote]

Exactly. Even just switching to a different tab can interrupt the work flow.[/quote]

One extra click? One click. It’s not that much effort. That’s such a minor thing. Maybe I adapt to things easy? I transitioned from systemmenu to RibbonUI easily. One extra click is such a little thing I don’t even acknowledge it. switching tabs interrupting your workflow because you aren’t used to it. The moment you get used to it, it becomes part of the workflow if you’re going by the straight up definition of workflow.

If your resolution is lower than mine like Spacek’s that’s more reasonable. One click I find a bit out there.

I’m not hating against systemmenu. You are free to use whatever suits you best, I just fail to understand the appeal to it besides screen space. Maybe I am just so used to RibbonUI and I adapted so easily it didn’t bother me. Oh well.

Only reason I’m using system menu now is that every time studio misclicks and begins re-positioning Explorer or Properties, it’s literally impossible to put it back in the same spot. I have to switch to system menu to put the windows back in place, and now I just stick with it since Studio has gotten too laggy to run multiplayer server tests.

F9 console helps me just test it in a run-able fashion in a published version, and it’s much quicker to publish the game, go into servers, :kick all, shutdown all servers, and join a game and then press F9

Or have an update game set to friends only and publish there to run tests.

[quote] F9 console helps me just test it in a run-able fashion in a published version, and it’s much quicker to publish the game, go into servers, :kick all, shutdown all servers, and join a game and then press F9

Or have an update game set to friends only and publish there to run tests. [/quote]

I never use local servers. Play solo and a dedicated test server to publish to is all I ever use.

I have publish tied to my F12 hotkey, and using the process described here, I can just hit two more keys (hotkey to open Launchy, enter to run the last used command) to join the test server without even touching my mouse :swag:

Basically I’m not worried about some features only being available in the dropdown menus or via hotkey when using SystemMenu.

I’ll switch to RibbonBar is someone compiles all the useful key shortcuts onto one page so I can stick it by my desk :stuck_out_tongue:

If your monitor’s resolution is greater than 1440x900, generally you’ll learn to be OK using Studio something like this:

(keep in mind that I have two monitors so Explorer, Properties and Advanced objects are on that window. Since my monitor is 1920x1080 I could easily sacrifice space though)

However, for those with smaller monitors, I totally agree. I, for a while, stuck with SystemMenu because I didn’t have enough screen space to see what I’m doing properly.

Another thing which could help people is to let the menu buttons be hovered over, and after a short while (say 0.5 to 1 sec) the menu pops up without having to click it. Of course, it would pop up instantly if clicked.

One more thing that would be nice is that ‘Emulate Device’ button needs to work when on the quick access bar/menu thingy.

I like RibbonBar. I liked SystemMenu. Either works for me. Neither really slows me down that much. RibbonBar looks pretty on my big 1980X10?? monitor.