T-Shirts Suddenly Cost Robux to Put Up for Sale

There’s a new fee for putting a t-shirt on sale. An image of this new fee (not mine):

However, there is no mention of such a selling fee nor is there any warning for putting the t-shirt on sale; The Robux is taken without notice.

There isn’t a pop-up warning you that 100 Robux is just about to be taken away- nor is there any indication of a purchase. It’s completely silent. This isn’t acceptable.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve everyone’s experience because they’d:

1. Not accidentally spend Robux
  2. Know that a fee exists

I’m not arguing for the removal of the fee, in fact, I think it’s a good change. What upsets me is that nobody knows about it and that it was swept under the rug. More images:

I cannot understate how bad this UX is.

EDIT: Apparently this has been confirmed an accidental change and should be solved- soon.

A Bloxy News Tweet was also apparently made on this.

50 Likes

Thank you for the report. This debit is unintentional - no more users should be debited for putting clothing on sale. We will refund all users affected during this timeframe :pray:

102 Likes

How did this happen in the first place? It is kind of scary that there is even functionality in the website that supports this.

Is this in the pipeline and a flag was unintentionally flipped? Can we get some more info?

50 Likes

It feels like an anti-botting feature. If a new account starts mass uploading clothes/ has some qualifiers that make it seem suspect it would start charging them to put clothes on sale.

Could help a bit with combating the rampant botting of the catalog clothes section.

12 Likes

It’s most likely a bug when they were setting up another asset, afaik, all assets have an upload fee attached to them (excluding audio because that’s special), but it’s always been set to 0.

They probably accidently set TeeShirt’s fee to 100 when doing something else.

Mini Speculation: TeeShirt is AssetTypeID 2 and Video is AssetTypeID 62, so could be that?

6 Likes

Not quite sure. Still spooks me a bit.

It seems like one of those “buy a AAA game and then buy the ingame purchases” scenarios… You’re paying for premium to upload shirts and such, and then another fee ontop of that?

God knows what the outroar would be like.

6 Likes

I completely disagree on your statement that it could reduce botting. What if the bot already had 1000s of robux? So rather than preventing botting, a paywall is just being put up between Clothing Designers.

5 Likes

A fee this large would defeat the purpose of botting by making it not worth it. (They would be losing more than they are making.)

5 Likes

There are better ways for preventing botting than a paywall. Like having a verified email, or verified phone number. Or having better captcha.

10 Likes

I wasn’t really looking for community opinions to my question…

This type of behavior is unacceptable for a company of this size. Even having something of this nature in the pipeline to the point where a flag can be flipped and it unintentionally enabled is scary. The fact that we didn’t hear anything about this before is mind blowing.

We need more information from Roblox.

7 Likes

I’ve checked the fflag watcher by @evaera, I don’t see any flags that seem relevant, so I’m not sure it’s that.

I fully agree this is unacceptable, the fact that this even happened in the first place is extremely disappointing.

5 Likes

When will the Robux be refunded? Do the affected people need to apply or something?

All affected users received their refunds on December 9th.

6 Likes

But why refund if it’s going to become a permanent change and people are eventually gonna spend?

There was no warning that they had to pay 100 robux and the feature was not officially released yet.

5 Likes

No they wouldn’t. Bot’s make millions of robux when botting clothing.

Bug is resolved, see marked solution