Tag Editor Plugin for Studio

Very happy to see the community contributing epic features like this, I’ve been using the Tag Editor plugin for a while now and I’m super stoked about it becoming built-in!

1 Like

It would have been nice to see it integrated with the Explorer and Properties.

Their argument for a an intuitive, integrated solution doesn’t exactly make sense now that they somewhat went back on it, and I don’t see too much reason to use this over the popular plugin other than it’s built in.

Not to mention I don’t even understand why it’s a plugin. It was mentioned in the Avatar tab post that they intend to keep this section to user-made plugins but continue to populate it with Roblox stuff, when they easily could’ve made it in the Home or Model tab.

3 Likes

R.I.P tag editor plugin, now a builtin plugin is coming

1 Like

This was a collab with the original creator.

8 Likes

Collection Service has been very good for my workflow, it’s made identifying some specific parts or areas way easier, thank you guys for working with the creator of the tag editor plugin to help our development.

1 Like

This is a great update! Good work Roblox! Continue this way! What else should I say?

1 Like

Ah neat! I do want to ask though, why would I use tags? What are tags? I see everyone is glad abt it so i am too, but i would like to know why this update is great.

:100: You’ve done it again Roblox.

1 Like

I’ve been using @Sweetheartichoke’s plugin for ages, it’s an essential tool for me. I was shocked Roblox didn’t have their own tag editor built into Studio but it’s nice to see you’re building upon community resources, I’d love to see more of that going forward.

So using CollectionService’s :GetTagged([string]) method, you’re able to find instances of objects existing in your game/workspace with said tag.

For example if I had a part that was called “HelloImAPart” and I applied a “Part” tag to that object, from a server script I can perform the following function:

local CollectionService = game:GetService("CollectionService")

for _, Object in ipairs(CollectionService:GetTagged("Part")) do
	if Object.Name == "HelloImAPart" then
		-- Execute code here
	end
end

It generally just streamlines code and the organization or instances in your game. If you’ve got any other questions let me know,

On a side note this is a great update Roblox, keep it up!

5 Likes

I hope that tags will translate based upon the players’ selected languages.
Similar to the AutoLocalize feature for TextLabels.

A feature I didn’t know I needed but also really wanted deep from within.
This is such a great quality of life update! I was almost going to write some module script to implement tagging in an easier way but this makes things a whole lot easier and better.

Why will they translate? Its only supposed to be seen by the developer?

8 Likes

Very nice. Looking forward to using it!

Yay, what a wonderful update! Is there any limit to the amount of tags you can make or is it infinite?

This is going to be such a good update! more plugins like those should be available (one such i could mentions is a datastore editor) but overall, developers are getting so many great tools from now on!

Thanks ! It was really needed to be native to Roblox Studio. It was THE plugin I was expecting to not be on the Plugins tab.

Also it would be nice for plugin developers to create new tabs with the permission of the End User to be shown in a custom Tab.
This can be really useful for building based plugins, and general utility plugins that adds a ton of stuff.

2 Likes

Finally support this tag function. Great, work will be easier in the future.

Am I the only one who feels like tags should be integrated into the Properties widget?

Cool update overall though!

1 Like

Interesting built-in plugin :thinking:.