Tag Synonyms - An underused feature?

Yes, apparently there is this feature… but I never see it being used?

I was browsing a little into the forum and bumped into the synonyms feature. It seems underused and should be very beneficial if we used this, because some tags are very similar to each other and should have those synonyms used which we can then use to find more topics with the selection of tags. Some people might not have all the words in their vocabulary and that might resolve some searching using tags.

Some tags that are approximately the same are: #composing and #composer.

6 Likes

Yeah, there are a lot of very similar but separate tags.

For example: #sounds and #sound. Each have nearly 100 topics on their own, but many topics don’t have both tags together, understandably.

Having two basically identical tags is redundant and there isn’t any reason for both of them to exist. However, with the synonyms feature it would be much more tolerable at least.

Many forums have this feature, or tag aliasing in which a tag can have multiple names that direct to a single “master tag”.

5 Likes

This is really needed. Especially think of people with portfolios or recruiters. You only get 5 tags in a topic so you want to maximize the amount of diversity you cover, but wait! Almost all tags have these synonyms and since this synonyms feature is not in use it begs the question, do I have more range or more specificity?

Many users would be confused as to if they should’ve or shouldn’t’ve chose one or the other. For example:

#art or #artist

#programmer or #programming

#building or #builder or #builders

#texture or #textures or #customtextures

#script or #scripting or #scripter or #scripters

#modeling or #modelling or #modeler or #models or #model

#terrain or #smoothterrain or #smooth-terrain or #terrain-editor

#animation or #animations or #animating or #animator or #animators or #animation-editor or #3d-animation or #animated

Just to name a few. Especially the last one.

4 Likes