Team Test silently enables your microphone while saying it's muted, resulting in unfair moderation at worst

In a game with Voice Chat enabled, opening a Team Test server will result in your microphone being enabled while saying it’s disabled.

This video is enough to demonstrate the problem, I believe. I’m not in a Discord call or anything, my friend can just hear me despite me not explicitly enabling my microphone:

You can repro this issue on an empty baseplate, as shown above. I get the issue in every single game I develop on.

This actually caused me to get a VC warning when I was chatting with friends over Discord, not Team Test’s VC, which I don’t really think is fair.

I’ve had this issue for a considerable amount of time now (at least 2 months), but have largely ignored it since I didn’t use Team Test often.

My beta features:

EditableImage/Mesh
Face Capture
Faster Play Solo
Live Animation Creator
Luau Native
Material Generator
Notched Screen Support
Upgrade Shorelines

Expected behavior

I expect Studio to not do that. I expect it to accurately reflect my microphone state, and ideally not enable it at all unless I enable it.

Workaround

You can click the microphone icon a few times to reset its state back to truly being disabled.

8 Likes

Thanks for the report. We’re looking into it.

2 Likes

Some more info: it looks like it has something to do with the focus state of Studio. Tabbing out will cause your microphone to silently turn on again.

External Media

^ Streamable link

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional info. I was just about to ask if you’d seen this happen other than switching focus?

1 Like

I don’t think so, at least from what I’ve seen of it

2 Likes

Sorry this is taking so long. We have a fix in the pipeline but it hasn’t made it to release just yet.

1 Like