`TeleportService:TeleportAsync()` fails if there are multiple clients running on the same machine (byfron issue)

Currently, as of Roblox client v0.574.1.5740447, if there are multiple Roblox clients running at the same time on the same machine, TeleportAsync() will fail for some of the clients.

How to reproduce:

1. Run a program that changes Roblox’s mutex:
using System;
using System.Numerics;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using System.Threading;

namespace MultipleRoblox
{
    internal class Program
    {
        static void Main()
        {
            new Mutex(true, "ROBLOX_singletonMutex");
            Thread.Sleep(-1);
        }
    }
}
  1. Join a game on client 1.
  2. Join client 1’s server on client 2.
  3. Have client 1 teleport to a reserved server. Observe the teleport fails with error code 773 and 512 (Unauthorized).
  4. Have client 2 teleport to the same reserved server. Observe that the teleport was successful.

Essentially, teleporting only works for the latest client that was ran. Any previously running client instances have their ability to teleport invalidated.
This issue was not happening before the rollout of the byfron client, it seems to be related to byfron.

I understand this isn’t officially supported behavior, but I need the ability to teleport while multiple client instances are running on my machine. I’m working on a game system that involves an external database & multiple game servers, so being able to have 3-5 game clients running at the same time is essential to my workflow.

Expected behavior

TeleportAsync() calls should work, regardless of how many client instances are running on the same machine.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

Hi Noble_Draconian,

Unfortunately like you said this isn’t supported behavior. We don’t advise you build any workflows on top of this behavior, as it may change or be blocked at anytime.

-ScipioAfrikanos

1 Like

I’m sorry however how are we reasonably supposed to test teleporting a group of players if teleporting multiple players is disallowed on the same machine and Studio teleporting is non-existent! I can’t possibly be expected as a Roblox developer to have multiple devices lying around to simply test my own experience’s systems, I hope this functionality is added in the future since as of currently it just ends up damaging developer UX as I can no longer test multiplayer in my game by myself :frowning:

12 Likes

Hi @ScipioAfrikanos! Thanks for the response.

How are developers expected to test multi-server systems that involve calls to TeleportService? We cannot do this in studio, and now we cannot do it with multiple clients. If you don’t have extra computers laying around, there’s physically no way to test these systems! Developers essentially just have to “guess and hope it doesn’t break”.

4 Likes