Terrain Brush Strength Increments Have Changed - Allow Lower Values

I request that the Strength value for the Terrain Tool allow users to go as low as 0.01 instead of the current 0.1. This will allow environment artists to use the high Strength value for macro map creation as is currently, with the addition of the lowest Strength value for micro map detailing.

A recent Studio update to the Terrain Plugin’s Brush Strength has made even the lowest value too strong for map detailing and other very common terrain manipulation techniques. While I see the usefulness for faster terrain manipulation on a large scale, that terrain still requires small detailing work before it’s actually game ready.

As an environment artist, this makes me “overshoot” what I’m trying to do and require me to constantly undo my changes, or spam click my mouse multiple times and incrementally make changes.

To show the difference of the lowest value Strength for both new and old Studio:

Older Studio file I have, about five seconds to reach the cursor:
7064a0cb58073720442a5b8b90b84b59

Recent Studio, about twice as fast to reach the cursor:
ffbbc6dcc75af0399c423fff97e41f6c

Real world application:

Making detailed areas of varying heights with varying Terrain materials. This slope goes up about four studs, low and easy to drive and walk over:
b5dfa24791776e9c65b64917d532305a

This common method is used extensively for many maps that I and other environment artists make

With the new Strength, it creates hills that are too steep that would require even more work to make useful for things like vehicles and smoothness. This is about 10 studs high, even with spamming my mouse in the “work around” I said above.
997d2d1600de170327c7e7dac124172f

This will add a lot of extra time onto terrain work during the polishing phase, which if Roblox really is aiming to have larger-scale worlds with Terrain, isn’t useful unless we have the ability to make polish techniques easier to do.

8 Likes