[TERRAIN] Character won't float in water

I think it’s good to note I am not a builder and I am a scripter, however I’m not sure where else to post terrain issues.

So, I’ve encountered a problem with water terrain: my character will not float in water - this is what I want (I want the character to be able to float on the surface or simply “swim”. I believe this could be a problem with the water in the terrain - it’s “hollow” meaning that when I go “underwater” it’s just air rather than water. This makes my character sink rather than float and swim. I’m not too sure what’s happening here.

The issue is that my character will not stay afloat, I’m assuming this is a problem with the terrain as water is just a layer of water with air inside making it “hollow” if you will.

So far I have tried looking throughout the forum searching for similar issues to no result. I have used raycasting to detect when water is directly below the character and apply a force to push it back up. I’ve also tried setting every basepart of the character to massless using the same technique. However, I have come to no success hence why I am posting here as my last resort.

I think it’s worth noting I’m using a custom character (a tiger model), these are the screenshots of what the water looks like: (it seems to be just air underneath, and I’ve used scripts to detect what material is directly present underneath the character and it says air when I’m in the water)

4 Likes

Okay so if you wish to float make sure that THE WHOLE LAKE is filled with water. You can use a part → terrain plugin for that. Place a brick on the lake, then make sure it fills it. And then convert it to water with the plugin ! Hope this helps ! Have a good day !

2 Likes

Part to Terrain is what you’re looking for. It is an amazing plugin, which has the best results from what I’ve seen. It is a widely used and trusted plugin, so no worries there!

I wish you the best of luck at your game, Cloud. :cloud:

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your reply! Do I need to basically fill the lake with parts? Or does it “auto-fill” the lake area?

Well you need to fill the lake with the part then convert this part in Water

1 Like

Hi, I’m having the same issue, I tried a part > terrain plugin and it still didn’t work. I ensured that there were no holes in the terrain as well. Any idea on how I could fix this?
Also, thanks for pointing out part > terrain plugins, I didn’t know those were a thing and that’s gonna help me out tremendously in the future :smile:
Edit: Nevermind, I just realized it was a part I was putting in every player’s character for the intro sequence that was making them sink :laughing:

1 Like