Terrain Cylinders, Perfect Flatness, and a Fresh New Look

Thats actually pretty cool. Means the “Cylinder” is actually an part itself , not shown in Workspace or everywhere tho.

4 Likes

Terrain tools have finally received some love!

4 Likes

I ran into this issue during development. Long story short, the brush is a child of workspace.Terrain. You can delete it there.

This took quite a bit of time for me to discover. Because the brush is locked, I had to find it in the explorer. To limit the scope of my search I ended up running a script to select all the children which are parts in workspace and had a transparency between 0 and 1. I was surprised when the brush wasn’t selected. Ended up accidentally stumbling upon it later.

I recommend you submit a bug report if one doesn’t already exist. I assume expected behaviour is the brush has the Archivable property set to false so it isn’t published to a live game when active.

3 Likes

I experienced this bug as well. Stumbled on the solution accidentally as when I selected terrain, the brush became selected as well.

3 Likes

Not only that, the underlying issue is that it’s staying around when the terrain tool isn’t in use any more…

3 Likes

Please reimplement the ability to directly upload files into the Terrain import.

Literally no one wants to wait hours on end for the moderation team to approve your heightmap. if some bad apples do ruin it for the rest of us by uploading Tos-violating / NSFW content forever disallow the ability to use the importer by said violater(s) IP address

Kinda hard to believe when ROBLOX’S overall transparency still hits rock bottom

Great reason to consider doing what I just mentioned.

5 Likes

Considering height maps are basically instructions for creating terrain, the chance of the whole system being taken down due to a few bad eggs will certainly not happen. I’d assume there is a moderation filter for this, I only assume it will happen similarly to what currently happens with moderation on the rest of the site.

Roblox’s transparency of late has also been very good compared to how it used to be a few years ago in regards to actual development topics, etc. Of course, the support systems are starting to become unreliable, and have been so for a few years, but this point is entirely unrelated to the OP.

2 Likes

You can use this: https://www.roblox.com/library/3980893189/Terrain-Importer

3 Likes

WHOOOOOOO! New terrain UI/features are AMAZING! I am definitely going to use more of this. Also can you make cylinders parts/models or are they still terrain?

1 Like

Wow. Playing with these tools tonight and they’re really really great. The results are so much more natural.

I do wish for larger brush sizes, especially with the cylinder. Plugins allow us to place larger chunks at a time, I don’t see why it can’t be offered in the terrain tool. Just 20% on these upper limits would be a massive help.

9 Likes

The new Terrain Editor panel doesn’t seem to remember where to go in Studio. I keep finding it placing itself above my Explorer and Properties. I typically put Terrain off to the right of those. I have both shown below. The 2nd image is how I set it up each time.

5 Likes

These new tools are really useful! I can see alot of terrain people using this! Cylinder terrain is my favorite because it speeds up the building of buildings very fast and it still gives a amazing shape imo

also cant wait for terrain vegatation!

hmm did u try rearanging the terrain pannel again?

2 Likes

I believe he meant that he did, but that it didn’t save when he closed and re-opened studio.

2 Likes

I agree, this may be a bug, I would recommend you just re-arrange it everytime until this gets fixed. Hope it helped. This is all what I can do.

2 Likes

The panel stayed there until I upgraded the terrain editor in Beta features.

4 Likes

Yes, i had the exact same issue that you described.

4 Likes

I can confirm that the undo in Studio isn’t undoing very much terrain. Seems to only go a few steps back.

5 Likes

I can’t wait until this gets fixed as it’ll improve my terrain workflow by miles, but is unfortunately really unusable on my place. I have a pretty good amount of terrain in my place and I face the following issues:

• Lag when selecting and deselecting different modes
  • Lag when trying to use a majority of the different modes
  • Modes/brushes tend to remain active after closing the terrain editor and/or using another studio tool
  • Lag when interacting with the plugin menu

I’ve tested it out in a blank place with some generated terrain, and it works fairly well, but when trying it on a roughly 8192x8192 map with some parts, it has serious issues.

5 Likes

In its current state the new Terrain Tools crash Studio as soon as I attempt to select them in my team create. We have a 4kx4k map of Smooth Terrain and a very large number of primitives. We also experienced lag when using the tool in other smaller place files.

3 Likes

Finally! I love seeing new updates on the terrain. My son loves building different terrains but it seems so limited for what both he and I are hoping to do. Getting nice flat terrain is going to be perfect for the roads and train tracks we have been working on. I wish there was a good way to get it on a more level ground with other terrain area though.

Also any update on a “fill terrain” tool or vegetation?

And one last thing, any info on generating depth below the initial baseplate instead of only above?

2 Likes