Terrain Cylinders, Perfect Flatness, and a Fresh New Look

The new terrain editor is so much more immersive, I also appreciate the new layout it’s so much more clean.

2 Likes

The Flatten tool will be really useful if someone needs a flat foundation for a building or any structure! Thx for the update!:smiley:

1 Like

YES! Terrain tools need more love, great to see an update. Personally, would love to see an update to terrain in the future that makes it so we can drag terrain - like in blender. Love this!

3 Likes

Everytime i switch to a different tab, it freezes my studio.

3 Likes

Whenever you close the terrain window, it stays active.

6 Likes

Will fill terrain wedges ever be introduced?

4 Likes

So useful and helpful for my job!!! Thanks for updating and adding flattain, it’s been very hard making flat terrains with regions and shaping them. I’ll definately use it.

3 Likes

Really love this update, Will help out in my games alot, Though, Still waiting for the update for grass on Terrain. Its a really awaited.

2 Likes

Great update! I hope next we can see cylindrical and spherical terrain regions. Resize-able cylindrical regions will improve the terrain tool even further by allowing developers to have a wide cylinder with a low height instead of all sizes scaling at once.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean. Can you provide some more detail on your use case?

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting! I’ve been able to reproduce and filed a high-priority ticket.

3 Likes

Seems like you can’t undo flatten actions when using the flatten function (after changing the size of the brush). Unknown how to recreate, just use the flatten tool, change the size / type of the brush, and attempt to undo via Ctrl + Z

2 Likes

Suggestions:

• The ability to change the opacity & the sizes of the grid while using the terrain tool would be a beneficial change. I can’t really determine what small & detailed terrain looks like due to the thickness of the lines within the grids.

• Rapidly clicking makes the terrain tool also blink in opacity. The brush’s standby opacity should be lower and the change between the tool standby and a click should be more subtle, just to prevent some epileptic emergencies towards individuals who like to spam click terrain in order to provide a more precise transformation.

Bugs (Visual, physical, and etc.)

• Cursor still appears while using the brush, unknown if the feature was intentional.
  • As discussed before, the undo function is not effective when changing brushes. It might not even work when you click outside of the workspace (i.e using properties to change the terrain color.)
2 Likes

I really like it, it is the most needed feature for me to make roads easier and place houses, thanks for all devs who developed this :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hopefully that doesn’t get delayed on the roadmap! In relation to that new feature is a question I’ve wondered since they announced terrain vegetation.

Will it be applied based on a brush, and will we be able to choose the vegetation types (or even make our own :eyes:). Unless we get lucky here, I assume we’ll just have to be patient and wait until the official release thread. The roadmap says its on track for 3rd quarter, even though that’s already passed so I hope it comes out soon, just like every other quarter 3 roadmap feature.

These new brushes are really cool and something that so far has only been able to be done through plugins. I love those plugins but it has always been somewhat tedious switching back and forth between the terrain editor and another plugin.

4 Likes

This is super cool! However, I often run into the issue (and have seen it in official Roblox terrain preset maps), that water seems to run upwards when colliding with grass or rock terrain.

1 Like

Another bug that I’ve found-

Attempting to paint terrain near water to water, while having the “ignore water” feature on, lags the paint brush.

Hope my input helps!

2 Likes

For weird reason the ‘new beta’ terrain editor causes lag when I change, click, or interact with UI. With old terrain editor it wasn’t happening. No errors or warnings too. I hope you fix that!

1 Like

YES!
I have been usually avoiding terrain usage due to the fact scripts assumed a flat surface, usually with Vector math.

Next step, terrain being able to save like models? :thinking:

2 Likes

I do like the new features, as it makes the terrain more adaptable for games.
But Maybe ‘Mesh to terrain’ feature could be added in the following years? This could make Terrain look and feel better in many games as it would be easier to create Terrain on a larger scale.
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

2 Likes