Terrain Cylinders, Perfect Flatness, and a Fresh New Look

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Terrain has been an absolute pain and learning blender just to have my terrain extremely flat just made me regret my choices, and go back to brick-building.

1 Like

Much needed update! the tools where the same for years, the smooth tool is not that smoothing, and acts like a erode tool sometimes. As someone who uses terrain constantly, i am supper exited for this update to make life easier! Thank you!

1 Like

This feature looks amazing, and I can’t wait to use it. However, I am confused if this is supposed to be already implemented, or if it is coming in the future?

My terrain editor is still missing the flatten and cylinder tools, and I would really like to have them ASAP as it would aid greatly in my current project. How could I enable the new terrain editor?

1 Like

You can enable the editor in file -> beta features.

2 Likes

New terrain tool is amazing, I love it! :heart:

1 Like

Terrain voxels are 4 studs wide.

2 Likes

This makes building with terrain so much easier! I’ll definitely use terrain more after this, the flatten tools convinced me to use terrain with parts and the cylinder tool to make hills and other kinds of stuff like pillars, It was really hard building with terrain so I’ll definitely keep an eye out for when this is fully released.

1 Like

This update came at the best time for me. I was just wondering how I was gonna make canyons and cliffs as realistic as possible using ‘add’ with sphere tool to start a rough outline and going back and using subtract with square tool to make a flat top, then you release cylinder tool and this just made this process sooooo much easier thank you!

2 Likes

I am experiencing this bug as well. Very annoying as I keep forgetting that this bug exists, and have to reopen terrain window > select a terrain tool > unselect > close, every single time.

1 Like

Oh my! What a weird bug! The morphing tool was published in-game.

25 Likes

Awesome. I really like it.

4 Likes

Thats actually pretty cool. Means the “Cylinder” is actually an part itself , not shown in Workspace or everywhere tho.

4 Likes

Terrain tools have finally received some love!

4 Likes

I ran into this issue during development. Long story short, the brush is a child of workspace.Terrain. You can delete it there.

This took quite a bit of time for me to discover. Because the brush is locked, I had to find it in the explorer. To limit the scope of my search I ended up running a script to select all the children which are parts in workspace and had a transparency between 0 and 1. I was surprised when the brush wasn’t selected. Ended up accidentally stumbling upon it later.

I recommend you submit a bug report if one doesn’t already exist. I assume expected behaviour is the brush has the Archivable property set to false so it isn’t published to a live game when active.

3 Likes

I experienced this bug as well. Stumbled on the solution accidentally as when I selected terrain, the brush became selected as well.

3 Likes

Not only that, the underlying issue is that it’s staying around when the terrain tool isn’t in use any more…

3 Likes

Please reimplement the ability to directly upload files into the Terrain import.

Literally no one wants to wait hours on end for the moderation team to approve your heightmap. if some bad apples do ruin it for the rest of us by uploading Tos-violating / NSFW content forever disallow the ability to use the importer by said violater(s) IP address

Kinda hard to believe when ROBLOX’S overall transparency still hits rock bottom

Great reason to consider doing what I just mentioned.

5 Likes

Considering height maps are basically instructions for creating terrain, the chance of the whole system being taken down due to a few bad eggs will certainly not happen. I’d assume there is a moderation filter for this, I only assume it will happen similarly to what currently happens with moderation on the rest of the site.

Roblox’s transparency of late has also been very good compared to how it used to be a few years ago in regards to actual development topics, etc. Of course, the support systems are starting to become unreliable, and have been so for a few years, but this point is entirely unrelated to the OP.

2 Likes

You can use this: https://www.roblox.com/library/3980893189/Terrain-Importer

3 Likes

WHOOOOOOO! New terrain UI/features are AMAZING! I am definitely going to use more of this. Also can you make cylinders parts/models or are they still terrain?

1 Like