Terrain details that I would like some feed back on

Here’s an image of a project that I’m currently working on.

Feedback, please :slight_smile:

10 Likes

It looks nice so far, I think you should add more grass and add a bit of fog. I look forward to seeing the finished result.

1 Like

I like it but, are those trees free models? because it would be sad to have any viruses in your game.

2 Likes

It’s good! The ambience is already neat, overall atmosphere is stellar. However, i’m kind of bugged how you put the patches of grass (because it doesn’t seem too natural even though i see the effort) and the trees need to be a bit more closer to each other (unless this already looks good for you) if you’re aiming for “in the middle of forest” vibes.

For grass, you can put very small patches on those white spaces (negative spaces) , since even though the cluster together, some will sometimes stand solitary between those space, especially in pavements like this. You might also consider extending the grass to the overall place (unless you already did, it’s hard too see) and not only on pavement.

It’s already good.

1 Like

Thank’s a lot for the feedback! :slight_smile: It really helps.

1 Like

I would add variety in the tree sizes and orientation of each tree to make it look more natural instead of just having a fixed size for every tree. I would also change up the terrain a bit because it looks relatively flat, it doesn’t have to be significant dips/hills, just enough to make it look natural and then I would also add atmosphere and depth of field, that combination can make anything look surreal.

1 Like

It looks good, personally I am not a big fan of realistic trees because I think low poly looks better in roblox, also you should add more variety to the terrain like some hills and mountains instead of just having it flat

1 Like

You should add some puddles using Smooth Plastic Material with terrain water texture (since there is no feature about smaller shape sizes for terrains for the water to be that small to make a puddles) since the picture shows it’s mostly mud or ground materials to fit your game. Make sure the studs per tile is high enough(you can look at the texture properties if you don’t know what I meant) and I also think you can animate(using scripts) the texture for the offset to move so it looks like the Puddle Water part is moving.

1 Like

I agree, though I believe realistic trees can work to some extent, it really just depends what you’re going for in most cases because low poly might look way out of place in some projects.

2 Likes

I think so too, but I usually use mesh leaves with roblox materials. Im talking about this

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess that is true. I guess I just prefer the low poly style overall

1 Like

The ambience and lighting are both well done, however, at the moment everything is far too linear and uniform. Realistically speaking, trees would not be in one straight line nor will they have such close heights as in the picture. To resolve this, I’d recommend using Brushtool to achieve that.

To add to that, some variance in the terrain would be great to create a more realistic scene. Right now, everything is far too flat. This is a good start though!

2 Likes

I used Brush tool to place the tree’s, Thanks for the feedback though! :slight_smile:

Definitely consider decreasing the spacing between the trees if you’re making a forest scene

2 Likes

use grow tool to make hills, it will be more realistic, Keep up the good work.

That’s a unique approach. I like it, though the shading looks sort of weird, especially for the trees in the distance.

1 Like

Yes. No matter how high the graphics are. The materials from afar turns into plastic. It’s just Roblox so I can’t really help it.

In order to counter that you can do what I suggested here as well and use depth of field + atmosphere, that way everything in the distance isn’t as detailed but it’ll also make it look better.

Yep. I tried it on my first post and it kinda helps a little to cover the trees behind but didn’t really change the fact that it still looked the same.

Here’s the link if you want to check it out with DOF effects: Realistic Lighting and Terrains

It looks significantly better but I see what you mean, only other thing I can think of that’ll improve it is just disabling the CastShadow property on the other trees to remain consistent or something along those lines but I’m not sure how viable that is for your project.

1 Like