Terrain - Merge Empty Not Functioning

It seems that in my studio, the ‘Merge Empty’ setting inside the Terrain Editor’s ‘Region’ tab does not change the outcome of that region’s interaction with terrain outside what’s selected. I don’t think that I’ve used the feature before, so it is possible I’m just misinterpreting it’s capabilities. However, based on the explanation presented here: https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/articles/Intro-To-Terrain, when toggled on, this setting should allow outside terrain to enter a selected region’s empty space when edited rather than that space remaining air as it would when this setting is not active.

This is the description listed in the link above.

Here is what occurs when I try and use this feature.

I haven’t been able to find much more on this feature, though I did come across another post with a short gif of it in action the way I expected it to operate. (NOTE: this post explained the toggle button having reverse effects which is why it is toggled off here.)

I’ve tried most of the simple solutions like reloading studio, trying in different games, I even tried on a different computer and got the same results. There are no error messages that I have seen pop up either.

I’m unsure when this bug may have started as I’ve not used this feature prior to March 29th, 2020, however, based on the lack of coverage I’ve been able to find, I would assume it’s either fairly fresh or it’s only happening to me.

As far as reproducing the bug, all I’m doing is opening any place in studio, opening the Terrain Editor, selecting the region tab, making a selection of terrain being sure to include some empty air space, then moving that selected region into another chunk of terrain outside of the selection. I’d then toggle the ‘Merge Empty’ setting and repeat the region movement as shown in my clip above.

This feature would be really useful for me right now, so if anyone has any suggestions I’d be happy to hear them!

Thanks!

1 Like

This has been fixed. Thanks for the report!