Terrain QOL Beta: Adjustable Plane Lock

We are working on a fix to this, but it’s caused us to re-assess some fundamental ways that terrain is generated.

14 Likes

I don’t really use terrain that much, but this feature looks like it could be very useful!

5 Likes

Love the feature really going to be useful! Are there any plans on adding the ability to load terrain on the client using terrain regions or something similar?

3 Likes

This is going to be so useful for me since I mostly work on terrains.

5 Likes

Yes, i’m loving these updates, but one issue i highly struggle with are shorelines… i want my game to have level water like irl, not weird jagged water where terrain types come in contact.

4 Likes

Well, you’ll be happy to hear that there’s work actively being done on solving that problem too!

17 Likes

All right! thank you for the heads up!

2 Likes

I have another Idea that can fix it, increase the triangle count for terrain, also please make the terrain have more setting for example (NEEDS TO BE IN STUDIO) : Different Patches of terrain that can be modified instead of having One terrain that cant be. what I mean is the Material Color, Decoration, Wave Size,Wave Speed, ect needs to effect one part of terrain and NOT the entire map because what if I want a river and an ocean in my game at the same time, I’d really like there to be more options fro terrain like the ones I listed and also a VERY IMPORTANT one, Changing the terrain Textures (Different peices)

Video of the information I gave to visualize, basically what I mean- (Please watch the video because I explain this better.)

10 Likes

Definitely excited about this. I am very familiar with the terrain tool and this fixes one of the main issues I had. Very cool!

4 Likes

It’s about time this became a thing, this will help out a lot with making flat surfaces without using parts or other terrains to place.

4 Likes

This would make building so much easier, and faster!

4 Likes

This is going to be so useful for me since I mostly work on terrains!

4 Likes

This seem fun to use I’m probably gonna use it right now since I’m already in roblox studios

3 Likes

Very useful :ok_hand: and it seems very fun yo experiment with it because I’m making a mmorpg map (;

1 Like

Hey @ProtoValence, This has been a big issue for me for a while since I imported a very large map through Heightmaps the Erode tool has absolutely hated it, For some reason, it’s like the strength on heightmap terrain bumps up 50000x compared to terrain created by hand. Think that can be looked into as well?

Edit

I’m literally better off using the Smooth tool as that legit acts like the erode tool with Heightmap imported terrain :sob:

3 Likes

Yeah, this behavior doesn’t look correct to me, I will go ahead and file a bug report for this. Erode strength should be back this week, so that should work as a temporary workaround.

4 Likes

I would like to confirm that I am having this issue too, but in my case this bug was happening way before this feature came out, it has been happening for over a year as well but I was unable to post bug reports about it so I just dealt with it

3 Likes

Yeah, this isn’t a new bug that just happened it’s been an issue for a while, I just figured while they’re fixing the erode tool missing figured they can look into this one as well.

2 Likes

This Will Be Very Helpful, when I make games with terrain in them.

3 Likes

I genuinely love this update so much, it’s extremely obliging.

1 Like