Terrain Replication Error

So the process of me creating my terrain is simple, paste a terrain region into the game. The terrain region object has max extents of terrain as its size. The terrain is pasted from the server, so it should replicate fine for everyone in the server. However, some people I join with in my game are experiencing faults in the terrain.

This is what the terrain looks like:

This is what the terrain on my friend’s screen looks like:

Notes:

1. This bug seems to happen once in a while with different amounts of people in the server and is affecting different people each time.

2. I’ve tried with and without pasting empty cells from the region.

3. At one point, an issue happened between me and my friend that resulted in the opposite happening in the image (I got the bad terrain and my friend got the good terrain).

4. The terrain object exists for multiple seconds after the server started.

If you need any more info about this, please let me know!
@zeuxcg if you can help me out with this, that would be great!

Place link please. Also, how often would you say it happens?

(FWIW there were no recent terrain replication changes but most games that use terrain don’t insert it dynamically so there’s always a chance that a long standing bug went unnoticed for a while)

2 Likes

I’ve only been able to reproduce the results on the client, not in studio. If you’re going to check the place out, it would probably be best to say these few things:

1. QA testers are only available to join the game
  2. That game is in a universe and is not the starting place
  3. The terrain only loads when at least 4 people join

If it would be easier on you, do you want me to create this as a standalone place so that it works when 2 players join? (I can’t seem to replicate the issue successfully with one player starting the game, your results would be better with 2 players)

Yes please, that would help.

Sorry for the delay, but here you go
You need at least 2 people to start it. Let me know if you want any changes made to it.
Yes this is practically the game server entirely, sorry I didn’t zone it down to just the terrain generating :sweat_smile:

EDIT: I don’t actually think I answered your frequency question. It happens every other time when the server loads the map, and it can happen to one or more players.

Does your game work with guests? I tried connecting with 1 real account and 1 guest but the map didn’t load.

I tried to make a simple level with the region/other settings from your game that just calls

workspace.Terrain:PasteRegion(workspace.Lobby, workspace.Terrain.MaxExtents.Min, false)

When you click on the red brick, but I can’t seem to reproduce the issue (here’s the game: https://www.roblox.com/games/131560632/Sandbox) so maybe there’s something else going on or maybe your code is doing something else.

Ahh, Try the terrain region object that’s in
game.ReplicatedStorage.Leviathan.Storage.Objects.Maps.Cabin.Terrain.Terrain

That’s the one that I’m having the issues with.

As far as guests playing the game, I haven’t tested the game with guests joining, since it saves data to an offsite server with an index being the player’s userid. I’ll take a look at that myself.

This issue still exists. Im still having it. Seems like a client based issue. Could it be related to where the terrain region is parented? Bc mine’s parented in ReplicatedStorage.

2 Likes

This is not actionable, please file this as a separate feature request and fill out the format for bug reports. If you do not follow the format your problem cannot be looked into.

For emphasis I repeat: please file as a separate bug report thread.