Terrain water reflection rocking back and forth

When you look at the reflection of the skybox in the water, it appears to rock back and forth.

https://i.gyazo.com/594ae1b177acbc55d406fe80e59564c8.mp4

This happens in both live games and Studio.

Changing wave size does not affect this.
Changing wave speed to 0 stops this from happening.

My graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 1060.

This bug has been happening for longer than I can remember, and I’ve gotten complaints from different people about it, leading me to think that it isn’t an issue specific to my PC.

Repro.rbxl (1.1 MB)

8 Likes

I believe this is less of a bug and more of a side effect of how Roblox water reflection works. They use a technique called “screen space reflection.” The trick to this is to only use what’s visible on the screen. That’s important because it’s only as expensive of drawing an image on screen! That means no 3D math, depth, etc needs to be calculated (which is why water runs so well even on mobile!).

What you’re seeing is most likely how they make waves look more realistic. Most of the shape of the waves comes from specular highlights, so to create a wave like effect they have to do some trickery to make it look like the reflection is moving. So most likely whats happening is a side effect of this (the reflection is being shifted too much thus appearing like the sky is bouncing). There may be some kind of fix to this but this will most likely not be fixed on lower quality settings if it involves performance costs.

Speaking of quality settings, have you previewed this at maximum quality settings? It looks like you’re on a lower quality setting and I know that when it comes to Roblox water things can change a TON at different quality levels.

5 Likes

This is on max graphics settings. It looks low because it was recorded through a studio window with Gyazo, but me and others have seen it in live games as well.

1 Like

Is it just me or has anyone else encountered a strange pulsating/wobbling/jittering effect in the reflection of the sky when looking out into a horizon of terrain water? I get it in both Roblox Player & Roblox Studio, and at all graphics settings.

This is on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a 2016 15" Touch Bar MacBook Pro.

1 Like

I believe that this is caused by the somewhat recent LOD terrain features that were implemented? If the wave speed is set to 0, this effect does not happen. Since the detail of the water is so low based on the distance it just looks like a plane reflection moving back and forth. Really hope this gets fixed ASAP!!!

2 Likes