[Test] Platform Text Chat is coming to Experiences

Oh this is weird, whys it just like chat?? This isn’t useful at all, compared to just having a party chat. Considering that was like the main point of having this added?

Edit: This would actually be useful for under 13 players, but it entirely covers up the game. So it’d be nice if it was instead like something that is the size of the in-game chat window.

Privacy concern: The “Connect” window is included in screenshots taken from CaptureService:CaptureScreenshot().

Once EditableImage fully releases, you could theoretically save the screenshot’s pixel data and spy on users’ private conversations if they happen to have the “Connect” window open.

9 Likes

Wonder if that could even cause a copyright violation? Probably not though.

The concept is good, but I’d like to offer a different way to use the feature. What if we had Platform Text Chat in the escape menu? If you want to pause to see your friend’s message that would be the perfect place.

1 Like

Interesting idea, but I don’t see this being of any use to the average Roblox user. I have been on this platform for over ten years and have almost never used the website chat functionality as a means of communication with my friends simply because there are much better alternatives. A feature like this would be much more powerful if it were able to integrate iMessages, Discord Channels, Guilded Channels, or really anything other than the overmoderated and unoptimized roblox website chat.

GuiService.MenuIsOpen should turn true when the “Connect” window is open. There’s currently no way to determine if this window is open or not, which is important to know since you might want to modify/hide your custom UI if the user has a Roblox menu open.

Note that this property (along with its related events) isn’t just used for the Roblox esc menu, but usually for any fullscreen CoreGui menu. For example, it turns true when the Avatar Inspect Menu is open.

4 Likes

… sigh, the tradition continues I guess. I want it but it’s locked behind an AB test, really wish those would be removed in favor of opt-in testing for people who want it because my luck is really unfortunate when it comes to AB testing.

4 Likes

same… i need this.
It would be better if devfourm users would get these features under ab testing.

1 Like

In my honest opinion, keeping a familiar experience chat icon that everyone got used to and know it’s functionality and just introducing a new icon for platform chat is actually less confusing for users to distinguish between the two forms of chat. The new experience and platform chat icons look similar to each other and would introduce more confusion. The platform chat icon looks more like a video recording button than a platform chat icon, but that’s just my opinion. But I think it would work using it or the new experience chat icon as an icon for platform chat and just keeping the current experience chat icon as it is for it’s functionality. I would prefer the platform chat icon to be in the hamburger menu while the experience chat icon to stay pinned in the top bar with its current icon.

I still haven’t been rolled into the AB test, and I still couldn’t figure out the FFlags to enable it, nor did I found anyone who does, does anyone here knows them? :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

If I may provide some feedback, I would strongly prefer party/platform chat to exist in the tilt menu. The tilt menu, to me, provides a stronger correlation back to the platform as a whole. It would also make the functionality feel a bit more like party chat on consoles, where it has its own dedicated focus separate from what you’re playing. You’re also not typically going to be ducking back into party/platform chats with any sort of frequency, especially in the case of parties where most if not all players involved will be in the same experience to begin with.

2 Likes

Honestly just seems like more useless clutter
Is anyone really trying to communicate with people playing other games while they are playing a game? And if they are i think most people would use somewhere else they know their friends better
The message service that this (replaces?) and the website chat system are things i honestly don’t think i have ever properly used in the 9 years I’ve been playing this game, and i have never really seen anything more than a few other people using it
Please at least let developers disable this in experiences so there is less space taken up at the top of screens by unnecessary things

4 Likes

Okay, but why do we need this?

1 Like

Hi Roblox Dev-Team,
I am against this feature becouse new players woudn’t know which icon leads this which chat. (Or at least I woudn’t if I would be new)

And here are some important questions:

• Will game developers be able to disable this feature? - Becouse in e.g. Roleplaygames or Quiz games where you don’t want the players to interact from all over the game (map), people just could chat with their friends to “cheat”.

• Will players be able mute their friends? - Becouse if someone is texting me to much I can just ignore the person by not opening the friends chat. But with this new api they could spam while I try to play games.

• Will game developers be able to implement a custom (extra) “censure” system to this chat so people can’t talk about specific topics (like game cheats) in their friend chat?

• Watdafish_1
1 Like

this is an important question! games which disable chat simply can’t disable this! cheating is a lot easier now.

I feel like this should be in the drop down menu (the one with “Report”, “Emotes”, “Leaderboard”, etc.), as the top bar feels very cluttered and would be extremely annoying - especially for mobile players.

Mobile users or Desktop App users have to leave the game to access the friends chat, this is being created to prevent those users having to leave the game to text their Roblox friends.

You can still chat trough the website

PC users can yes but for mobile and later (when console chatting finally gets released) console users its kind of hard.