[Test] Platform Text Chat is coming to Experiences

Adding two chat icons for two chat features next to each other is indeed a little stupid when you can merge them together under the same icon for example. An alternative could be to make two subicons under the same original chat icon. One called “Game” or “Server” and the other one called “Friends” maybe. In this example you would avoid using images for the subicons to minimise confusion.

Honestly, I feel like this isn’t needed. It’s just clutter to the Roblox Client, you’re adding 2 type of icons for the same thing nearly.

It’s just clogging up space. Maybe if Roblox adds the capability for Developers to Toggle it on / Off it would be useful, cause I would bet you most devs don’t want it. Most of us use Topbar Plus and this just ruins the purpose.

1 Like

Will this affect games with Roblox chat core UI disabled?

1 Like

I truly want them to create a separate enum to enable/disable this feature, along with additional APIs for us to implement our own platform chat support.

However, I’m not so sure they’ll provide us with any of that, as they’ve recently introduced several forced platform features over which we have no control and it looks like we won’t have any in the future.

For example, the ‘Invitation Sent/Received’ and ‘Joined’ notifications. This feature would have been ideal if there were APIs to enable or disable it, as well as detect such events. I myself would gladly create support for platform Notifications with this API.

Instead, after asking for this for quite some time, I still haven’t received a response from anyone, and it looks like that won’t be provided for us for quite some time.

6 Likes

I am able to tell which chat is which if I think about the icons really hard, but the fact that there are two is a major problem. I feel like if Roblox were to stick with two, the platform chat icon should have the Roblox tilt O, and the game chat icon should have the lines. Play button definitely breaks UI standards.

How I’d design it
Integrate platform chat into game chat, with one chat button in the bar and different sections accessible within the chat window. Allow developers to disable chat completely like they currently can do, as well as any other UI, all the way down to just the esc menu. Make platform chat also accessible in the esc menu. I know that this sounds redundant, having platform chat accessible in the standard chat and the esc menu, but I think that it will be good experience in practice.

What this will allow
Users can seemlessly use platform chat from in experience if it has the standard chat enabled. Users can also use the esc menu chat if they want to tune-out the experience for a minute without leaving the experience. And users know that they can always find the platform chat in the esc menu, even when the game optimizes/customizes the chat experience.

Looks like they aren’t responding to anyone unfortunately, I made a post about this that goes into detail on why the experience controls are restrictive and why it should be reverted but still haven’t gotten any info or attention yet.

I received this update approximately 15 minutes ago, and this entirely broke the voice chat mute/unmute button. I can no longer unmute to speak in voice-enabled experiences.

1 Like

This was an unrelated update and has since been resolved.

1 Like

Quick question (which I really hope gets answered): Will there be a CoreGui option to turn the connect menu off just like the chat menu? This would be very importand for maintaining space at the top of the screen.

2 Likes

Does this mean we’re getting closer to having chat for console?

I can’t even enable this, I used to have it and now it’s gone for some reason.

Are you referring to chat channels here? e.g. /c system

They’ve announced that Roblox console chat will be added to Roblox by 2025

Okay, so I’ve got it ingame and it seems to actually be something inside the hamburger menu instead of being forced next to the chat. It basically works as if it were integrated in the Esc menu in games where the mouse is locked; it’s actually not that bad.

I still think the ingame chat icon is a little weird though, but I’m glad they seem to have listened.

6 Likes

I think I got the update because it replaced the chat logo for the old UI, which is sad but whatever

1 Like

Seems to be different per account (which makes sense, since its a test)

Here is how mine looks like on every device:

Not a fan, since I never use website chat anyway, so its just taking up space.

3 Likes

You still have the beta voicechat tag. Is this an Fflag?

We went from Roblox Connect being an annual creator event to Roblox Connect being an experience where you can call a friend to Roblox Connect being… this.

4 Likes

Nope. I did not change any FFlags for this

yes, the box with a play button in it is a bit too famous to be used for something ‘else’

3 Likes