Test servers keep crashing randomly when LoadCharacter is called

Today I noticed that studio’s test servers would randomly crash for me. I went through my code trying to figure out if the error was on my side, but after investigating the problem I believe this to be an issue on Roblox’s end. After the test server crashes, the client windows still remain active for a while until they throw an error like the one below:

I also encountered this error during one of my tests:

And finally one of these errors:

These errors do not happen all the time. It seems that the server has a ~70% chance of crashing in my case.

The video below shows more details of what is happening. As soon as I press a specific UI button in my project, the server window (hidden on the left behind the player’s window) crashes.

After spending an hour narrowing down the issue, I have concluded that this piece of code here on the server causes the crash to happen:

print("a")
wait(1)
-- load the player's character
SpawnsProcessing[Plr] = true
local success = pcall(
	function()
		Plr:LoadCharacter()
	end
)

print("b")
wait(1)

In my case, the first print appears in the server output, but then it crashes before the second print appears. In my game I am spawning players by swapping in and out a ‘StarterCharacter’ model into the StarterPlayer folder. My StarterCharacter models use the new physics controllers, so they have no Humanoid inside of them.

I believe that Roblox being a little slow at the moment may contribute to this crash appearing, as I have not had it happen before today and I am noticing Roblox acting a little slow at the moment.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when there’s any update on the issue.

2 Likes

Same behavior for me, LoadCharacter crashes the server with custom StarterCharacter. Server crashes over half the time. Hoping for a fix soon.

I would also like to note a few things I’ve found:

• This occurs outside of studio as well, actual game servers will still completely crash, making games unplayable
  • Existence of the new controller manager in the character when calling LoadCharacter seems to be the root cause
  • Existence of Humanoid object inside the character doesn’t stop the crashing
  • I am not swapping a StarterCharacter model in / out of StarterPlayer, I just have one model that stays in the folder

Hi, this issue should be fixed. Let me know if you’re still running into it.