Testing TeleportData in Studio is really hard

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to debug and test TeleportData a place may receive when a player teleports to it.

Currently, I need to modify my code to replace player:GetJoinData() and game:GetService("TeleportService"):GetLocalPlayerTeleportData() with tables with custom values in every location that references these functions and change them back after testing, or publish the game to Roblox and test it in the real world.

It would be better if I could enter Studio’s Play Solo mode with pre-existing TeleportData and JoinData as if I teleported in from another place.

The Player Emulator seems like it would be an intuitive place to find such options

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because testing a game’s behavior in regards to an incoming player teleported by another place within the same universe would become much more streamlined and allow for rapid iteration.

I would like to see the option to specify any sourceGameId and sourcePlaceId for GetJoinData and a custom table for TeleportData. Flexibility is extremely important to me and to be allowed to set the contents of this mock TeleportData with anything that could be put in the real TeleportData using SetTeleportData. Perhaps simply the options to specify a ModuleScript who’s returned value will be used as the TeleportData would work, or an “edit teleport data” button that would open a script in a new tab or something along those lines.

25 Likes