Text input UX/UI on Mobile is quite odd

I’m using a Samsung smartphone and trying to make a custom chat for Mobile. The issue is that the chat box I’ve made doesn’t get updated as I type. The ugly white bar at the top gets updated, but the actual TextBox I’ve chosen to use doesn’t get any form of input until I’m done typing. CaptureFocus() also doesn’t seem to work when called on the TextBox, so I have to select it myself.

To summarize:

• When typing there’s an ugly white bar at the top of my screen for some reason
  • When typing the actual TextBox I’ve chosen to use does NOT get updated until the user closes their keyboard
  • :CaptureFocus() on a TextBox will pull up the keyboard, but not actually focus on the TextBox
17 Likes

I’ve noticed the same/similar with iPhone. Even with the default chat it is quite cumbersome.
I haven’t played Roblox on mobile in quite some time for just this reason. I also noticed that it doesn’t use the phone’s autocorrect which is a major disadvantage when trying to type fast on a small mobile keyboard.

2 Likes

I have a samsung too, I should try and reproduce this, can you link the game?

This should be happening on all mobile devices and all games, I can confirm that. It has actually bothered me for quite some time but never considered it to be a bug, more like an inconvenience.

2 Likes

Thanks. We have been working on improvements around textboxes on mobile, specifically Android right now, and are hoping to get some changes out in the next few months. We will update this thread once we roll out the changes to get continued feedback.

@JustSeanC We’d be interested to know if this is still an issue on iOS. We shipped some changes last year that improved textboxes on iOS.

6 Likes

There’s also another issue, I’m not quite sure exactly what causes it, but after you switch your phone from Portrait/Landscape mode the UI glitches. Even if you go back to Portrait, all of the UI scale is tiny again.

Not only does it make all of the UI tiny during portrait once the glitch is triggered, but UserInputService:OnScreenKeyboardSize() uses this glitched AbsoluteSize value as well.

Autocorrect does seem to be working! I should have checked again before I posted. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Closing topic since it is marked as solved. Please file a new bug report if the issue reoccurs!