TextBox Input? (Xbox)

How will TextBox input work on Xbox? can the user select the TextBox and the on-screen keyboard will pop up?

2 Likes

What are you using a text box for?

1 Like

I need to know this as well, because as soon as (new) players join the game they are required to type in a name for their character to use. Also, search bars in the shop

1 Like

Why can they not use their username? Do you really have so many items that they need to search?

I’m not trying to be difficult, typing on xbox is such an awful user experience that literally anything is better. When you’re using a gamepad, not having a search bar is generally better than having one.

The only real use case for text entry in a console game is naming something the user created for easy reference later on. Like the name of a world they’re building or the name of one of their saved characters. Even character names could be optimized to a list of names that the player can choose from.

1 Like

[quote] Why can they not use their username? Do you really have so many items that they need to search?

I’m not trying to be difficult, typing on xbox is such an awful user experience that literally anything is better. When you’re using a gamepad, not having a search bar is generally better than having one.

The only real use case for text entry in a console game is naming something the user created for easy reference later on. Like the name of a world they’re building or the name of one of their saved characters. Even character names could be optimized to a list of names that the player can choose from. [/quote]

It’s not 100% needed, but my game is vaguely based off of the classic GMod murder gamemode, in which you are randomly assigned a character name and skin. In my game however, you can create your own character name and appearance. And as for hat searching, if players see something they want but don’t have enough so they go and wait for a few days it may be hard for them to find it again as there are about 300+ items or so in my game.

Nothing, just curious to see how they would work.

I can make my own in-game keyboard if necessary so they can type their name

Currently when the user presses the A button when a text box is selected, we will bring up the xbox system virtual keyboard. This also works if you call the CaptureFocus() function.

4 Likes