TextBox Selection Not Working

As displayed in the notes for 392:

Added text selection and Ctrl+C to copy for TextBox. Live

This was working fine, and I made Lua Learning rely on it for an update.

Now, with no changes, it’s not working anymore.

In my studio tab that hasn’t been closed in ages, it works.
If I open a new studio instance, it doesn’t. In game, it doesn’t.

New studio tabs don’t even show the SelectionStart property in the properties window.

Was this feature taken back without any warning, documentation, or reason? It’s still marked as live. I don’t think that would happen, so I’m posting this as my own issue thread.

If anyone has any idea what is going on, that would be great. Is anyone else having this issue?

Lua Learning is on front page right now, and this is broken. I’m kinda panicking :smile:

Edit:

Worth noting that the removal of the TextEditable feature was making my game fall apart because you can just write on things that are “labels”.
I’ve just added a couple lines that :ReleaseFocus() the moment .Focused fires. That solves that issue but would stop them from being able to select text but haha cant anyway :upside_down_face:
This is why I’m mad. Had they given us advance notice, or any notice at all, I’d have added those lines already- before my game broke.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure this is due to an FFlag being changed.

A handful of flags with names that look like they are about text selection were disabled.

Probably has to due with the new bugs. (here)

1 Like

Oh. Thanks for this, didn’t know about this flag watcher. Super cool.

And yup, 2 hours ago, without telling anyone, they decided to just screw me over.

I’m really annoyed that we were given no warning. When a feature is released, I expect to be able to use it. At least mark it back to pending again so I know something happened.

This caused me to waste a lot of time trying to fix a bug that didn’t exist, and drove me crazy. Really upset about this.

2 Likes

I need to add clarification to this thread because a lot of people are misunderstanding my anger and frustration.

I’m not mad that they disabled it.

It’s a new feature. I’m sure they had a very good reason to disable it.

I’m mad that they haven’t told us.

The feature is marked as live.
There are no warnings in the log like “SelectionStart is currently disabled”.
There is no post anywhere.
There is no stated reason for it.
There is no way for me to have known that they are turning off a feature important to my game.

I’m mad that I wasted an hour and half pulling out my hair trying to figure out why my thing isn’t working. I’m mad because it’s really stressful to have your game on front page while people are telling you that it doesn’t work. I’m mad because the TextEditable feature was disabled and therefore all the “labels” broke. I’m mad because they didn’t feel the need to inform us.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

6 Likes

I noticed that in the properties window of Studio, these properties show up again. It seems they re-enabled it.

However, the release notes page still haven’t been changed back to Live, and I still don’t trust that they’ll keep it enabled.

Until there’s confirmation or some announcement or documentation, I’m ignoring this feature.

I would do the same Until Roblox confirms it. But I had the same issue with TextBox for my AI Services, I ended up Recoding it all which was a pain. Well Its Roblox they might of Forgotten to Announce it, But Who knows.

1 Like

That’s exactly the issue. Their communication of this has been atrocious.

This thread exists because they removed entire features without warning, without announcement, without documentation. The tiny bit of documentation we had wasn’t updated until much later.

How are we to know when we can use this? Based on the track record with this feature, I doubt they’ll officially let us know.
API documentation could be an indicator, but the DevHub is in disarray at the moment.

1 Like