TextChatService is now the default for new experiences!

TextChatService Bug Report

Putting my reports here as suggested in New In-Experience Text Chat System Public Release! - #285 by SubtleShuttle.

These issues have only been in my game ever since I moved over to the new TextChatService.

[Bubble Chat]

These are the main issues I’ve had with the chat which have been ongoing issues for a while now.

Thank you for the screen captures, we’re prioritizing investigating this issue.

2 Likes

Adding on to this, I have had a report from a player that bubble chat messages are not disappearing at all. I’ll edit if I uncover more details.

Based on the response that I received here, there are some things that I would like to see as a feature added.

In the legacy LUA chat system, I had the ability to restrict commands to specific channels so only those players who were in those channels could execute them. This is in addition to what permissions the player has. So an admin or moderator could /kick a player, but only from the admin channel. It also provided a private channel for moderators and admins to talk to each other. Now it’s just strictly player permissions, which I guess is ok.

Another feature that I would like to see (others have requested this as well), is a flag in the command definition instance to make the command case-insensitive. So /cOmmAND is the same as /command which is also the same as /COMMAND.

Beyond that, I’m going to have to do a rethink on how my command architecture is setup.

If you look at the code to my game, I am using non-player speakers for server generated announcements. The announcements alert players to when someone was killed, who killed them, with what weapon, etc… It also alerts the players when someone enters the game, if a player gets an arm or leg taken off, falls to their death, or dies due to some environmental factor (like trying to swim in lava). So until that actually gets added, I cannot migrate over to the new system.

As for the system messages, I’m working on that. But what @SubtleShuttle mentioned below is an issue:

The problem with that example is that we are not allowed to know the age of the player. Because of this, we cannot make that distinction. Is this going to change in the future? Will there be a new parameter for us to indicate an age range so Roblox can maintain user privacy? System messages and system messages and are important for a reason. The indicate important status changes in the server. Therefore they should be broadcast to all players on the server regardless of their age. Having it on a per-client basis is asinine. I can see a per-client basis of having messages from a a non-player speaker, but not system messages.

I’ve noticed that bright violet color doesn’t match up in the new system, can you please provide the new colors or is there a function to get the color for a players name.

1 Like

Any updates on customizable bubble chat for specific chat channels? I am specifically asking for this level of customization on individual team chats and whispers. For example, I would want the green team to have their team chat bubble color to be light green. Blue team should have their team bubble chat color be light blue and so on.

2 Likes

Is there a way to get a sending clients message before it reach’s the server and sink it? The new command system could be handy but it’d prefer not to be forced to use it. Especially with the fact that it is case sensitive and it forces me to replicate commands the client isn’t permitted to use.

1 Like

Adding on, there has recently been a spike in reports of the chat cutting off messages.

2 Likes

Hello. Regarding TextChatService. Whenever I join a game using this module and try to use the chat, my message either doesn’t appear or appears for a millisecond. Is there a reason for this? Or perhaps a fix? It occurs both in my games and other ROBLOX game

s.

1 Like

Have you been able to replicate this issue or find any work-around?

The best “work-around” per-se is to just enable the old system, as sad as it may sound.

1 Like

Do you remember what game this is?

Bug with TextBoxFocused firing after losing focus or pressing enter. I was trying to update a script that shows a little bubble above a player when they’re typing and realized that TextBoxFocused only fired after losing focus/pressing enter.

I put this in a local script under starter player scripts and testing showed that it does in fact fire at the same time as textboxfocusreleased. This was done on a new default template and on a live server.

local ui = game:GetService("UserInputService")

ui.TextBoxFocused:Connect(function()
	print("test1")
end)

ui.TextBoxFocusReleased:Connect(function()
	print("test2")
end)

Pressing slash or clicking on the chat bar does not fire the focused event, pressing enter or losing focus fires both.

Posting here because I can’t post in bug reports.

3 Likes

It’s possible to send system messages and customize them using Rich Text.

I wrote a tutorial for how to convert usage of the old game.StarterGui:SetCore("ChatMakeSystemMessage") function (which no longer works with the new TextChatService) over to the new API

The tutorial shows how you can display system messages with custom color, font, etc.:

How to convert the ChatMakeSystemMessage SetCore to the new TextChatService - Resources / Community Tutorials - Developer Forum | Roblox

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Please give us some way of knowing when a player is typing in the chat :pray:

well, have you tried TextChatService.ChatInputBarConfiguration.IsFocused?

1 Like

I think that given the limited ability which developers have to edit this new chat’s functionality, Roblox should try to cram as much configurable functionality into it as possible. This is one I would like to see

1 Like

I managed to find a way around this, that’s actually provided by Roblox in the dev hub

The new chat service is good and all but the look just doesn’t look that great which is pretty much the only reason why I still prefer and use the old legacy chat because it’s look is simplistic and generally looks fine.

1 Like