TextChatService is now the default for new experiences!

Hello. Regarding TextChatService. Whenever I join a game using this module and try to use the chat, my message either doesn’t appear or appears for a millisecond. Is there a reason for this? Or perhaps a fix? It occurs both in my games and other ROBLOX game

s.

1 Like

Have you been able to replicate this issue or find any work-around?

The best “work-around” per-se is to just enable the old system, as sad as it may sound.

1 Like

Do you remember what game this is?

Bug with TextBoxFocused firing after losing focus or pressing enter. I was trying to update a script that shows a little bubble above a player when they’re typing and realized that TextBoxFocused only fired after losing focus/pressing enter.

I put this in a local script under starter player scripts and testing showed that it does in fact fire at the same time as textboxfocusreleased. This was done on a new default template and on a live server.

local ui = game:GetService("UserInputService")

ui.TextBoxFocused:Connect(function()
	print("test1")
end)

ui.TextBoxFocusReleased:Connect(function()
	print("test2")
end)

Pressing slash or clicking on the chat bar does not fire the focused event, pressing enter or losing focus fires both.

Posting here because I can’t post in bug reports.

3 Likes

It’s possible to send system messages and customize them using Rich Text.

I wrote a tutorial for how to convert usage of the old game.StarterGui:SetCore("ChatMakeSystemMessage") function (which no longer works with the new TextChatService) over to the new API

The tutorial shows how you can display system messages with custom color, font, etc.:

How to convert the ChatMakeSystemMessage SetCore to the new TextChatService - Resources / Community Tutorials - Developer Forum | Roblox

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Please give us some way of knowing when a player is typing in the chat :pray:

well, have you tried TextChatService.ChatInputBarConfiguration.IsFocused?

1 Like

I think that given the limited ability which developers have to edit this new chat’s functionality, Roblox should try to cram as much configurable functionality into it as possible. This is one I would like to see

1 Like

I managed to find a way around this, that’s actually provided by Roblox in the dev hub

The new chat service is good and all but the look just doesn’t look that great which is pretty much the only reason why I still prefer and use the old legacy chat because it’s look is simplistic and generally looks fine.

1 Like

The metadata looks like this: "Roblox.Notification.Friend.Joined"

However, the username or user ID of the joining friend is nowhere in the TextChatMessage instance above.

This makes it so that if you want to change the message to add more info, like the username, you have to deal with the potential edge case of 2 friends who have the same display name joining a player.

Would it make sense for Roblox to add the username or user ID to the TextChatMessage metadata?

2 Likes

Will scrolling frame bar cutting off the text get fixed?

3 Likes

Hi, is there any way to move the position of the InputBar without having to create a custom input box?
This was possible in the legacy text chat system using StarterGui:SetCore("ChatWindowPosition", UDim2)

This would be useful for me since I have a BubbleChat-only game, and I would like to display some info above the chat bar as if the user is writing into that info.

Even better if the position of the input bar could be decoupled from the chat window! It doesn’t matter for my use case though, since I disable the chat window

Second point. Is it a bug that Player.Chatted event no longer fires on the Client side?
It would be nice that it continued to do so for backwards compatibility. If not, this should be mentioned in the migration guide.

I have the following, which now never fires on chat

game.Players.LocalPlayer.Chatted:Connect(function(msg)
    print(msg)
end)

NOTE: it still fires correctly on the server side!

3 Likes

TextChatService:DisplayBubble() doesn’t work compared to Chat:Chat()

Here’s a clip in a completely new baseplate testing these 2 methods on both Server and Client

3 Likes

You can use Chat window configuration.VerticalAlignment/HorizontalAlignment to move the chat input bar. Unfortunately it can’t be decoupled from the chat window if it were visible without using your own Text box.

I’ll forward this to the team. If you have access to bug reports, I’d recommend reporting future issues there, though I understand not everyone has access to post there.

I’ll forward this interesting idea to the team. I think the usecase is valid

I’m not for certain, but it’s likely DisplayBubble isn’t enabled quite yet.

2 Likes

I managed to make it work by putting a join timestamp on players and then seeing whose timestamp is later to figure out which friend joined you, but it does make sense to add the extra info in the metadata.

EDIT Here is my thread on this topic that follows:

In addition to the friend joined message, there’s also another issue I had where if your place has multiple independent modules each doing their own modification to incoming chat messages — for example, you could have one module adding a chat tag to a player’s name, and another module which colors chat messages — then only one of them works, because each mod overwrites the TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage callback function.

It makes sense why it works this way, as the internal TextChatService code needs to have a single return value to use in the new chat. Presumably, developers would just add their own series of functions inside TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage which processes the message with their set of modifications.

However, when working with external modules like you might get in the Toolbox or here in the Community Resources sub forum, you as the developer have to modify the code to work in your own series of “mod filters” for a given TextChatMessage. Developers have to code up their own priority executor:

Code:

local function AddTag(TextChatMessage)
    local taggedMsg = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")
    local newTag = string.format("<font color=\"rgb(255, 0, 0)\" weight=\"heavy\">%s</font>", "Leader")
    taggedMsg.PrefixText = string.format("%s %s", newTag, TextChatMessage.PrefixText)
    taggedMsg.Text = TextChatMessage.Text
    return taggedMsg
end

local function CapitalizeName(TextChatMessage)
    local new = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")
    new.PrefixText = string.upper(TextChatMessage.PrefixText)
    new.Text = TextChatMessage.Text
    return new
end

local rnd = Random.new()
local function ColorText(TextChatMessage)
    local coloredMsg = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")
    coloredMsg.PrefixText = TextChatMessage.PrefixText
    local color = Color3.new(rnd:NextNumber(), rnd:NextNumber(), rnd:NextNumber())
    coloredMsg.Text = string.format("<font color=\"rgb(%i, %i, %i)\">%s</font>", color.R*255, color.G*255, color.B*255, TextChatMessage.Text)
    return coloredMsg
end

game:GetService("TextChatService").OnIncomingMessage = function(TextChatMessage)
    local FakeWrapperMessage = {Text = TextChatMessage.Text, PrefixText = TextChatMessage.PrefixText}
    for Priority, Callback in {CapitalizeName, AddTag, ColorText} do
        local newTCMP = Callback(FakeWrapperMessage)
        if newTCMP and newTCMP:IsA("TextChatMessageProperties") then
            FakeWrapperMessage.Text = newTCMP.Text
            FakeWrapperMessage.PrefixText = newTCMP.PrefixText
        end
    end
    local final = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")
    final.PrefixText = FakeWrapperMessage.PrefixText
    final.Text = FakeWrapperMessage.Text
    return final
end

Result:

This is in contrast to how the legacy chat system worked, with SetExtraData.

Two days ago I created a module to handle this issue, such that it allows the developer to add multiple OnIncomingMessage callbacks, with levels of priority for each.

Code (client):

local ChatInterceptor = require(game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage"):WaitForChild("TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage Wrapper"))

ChatInterceptor:AddCallback("Add Tag", function(TextChatMessage)
    local taggedMsg = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")
    local newTag = string.format("<font color=\"rgb(255, 0, 0)\" weight=\"heavy\">%s</font>", "Leader")
    taggedMsg.PrefixText = string.format("%s %s", newTag, TextChatMessage.PrefixText)
    taggedMsg.Text = TextChatMessage.Text
    return taggedMsg
end)

local AddTagPriority = ChatInterceptor:GetCallbackPriority("Add Tag")

ChatInterceptor:AddCallback("Capitalize Name", function(TextChatMessage)
    local new = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")
    new.PrefixText = string.upper(TextChatMessage.PrefixText)
    new.Text = TextChatMessage.Text
    return new
end, AddTagPriority)
-- putting the priority argument here makes this callback get run higher (earlier) than the "Add Tag" callback
-- the "Add Tag" callback's priority then gets pushed down, making it get run after
-- this way the name gets capitalized before adding the lowercase tag
-- if AddTagPriority was nil, then the priority argument would be blank according to the wrapper module

local rnd = Random.new()
ChatInterceptor:AddCallback("Color Text", function(TextChatMessage)
    local coloredMsg = Instance.new("TextChatMessageProperties")
    coloredMsg.PrefixText = TextChatMessage.PrefixText
    local color = Color3.new(rnd:NextNumber(), rnd:NextNumber(), rnd:NextNumber())
    coloredMsg.Text = string.format("<font color=\"rgb(%i, %i, %i)\">%s</font>", color.R*255, color.G*255, color.B*255, TextChatMessage.Text)
    return coloredMsg
end)
-- leaving the priority argument blank puts the priority as the latest possible

Result:

The reason this is useful is that the callbacks can be added in totally separate scripts, running in parallel, which themselves don’t even reference each other nor are they referenced by a single master script. The wrapper module can be thought of as a master script, but references are made to it from the places using it, and not the other way around.

I wanted to know if there was a plan to support the “multiple callbacks” functionality natively within TextChatService.

One minor annoyance is that OnIncomingMessage fires twice when then LocalPlayer chats:

As you can see here, the text color changes on Player2’s messages because he is the LocalPlayer, and so a random color is selected again on the second function call.

3 Likes

Thanks, unfortunately this isn’t quite granular enough for my need. I would like the Chat Window to be aligned in the top left, as it is by default, but offset by a bit, moved downwards (preferably using a UDim2). Is this possible?